How can I make this design more SQtastic (yes I made it up)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
here's a pic of my design I'm starting on:

http://feandil.tripod.com/PartII/my_dream_towers.JPG

it's a 2 tower line array per side

it contains:

4 15" Lambda TDX midbasses tuned to 35 hz or so in a black finish (professionally painted)

8 Audax PR17 midranges in sealed with a 18" deep chamber

1 DIY ribbon linesource with about 106-109 db efficency using a planar aluminum sandwich...

xovers are all active... with a Behringer Digital...

2450 watts to midbasses..
2450 watts to midranges
400 watts per side to ribbons (max)

xover points are 300 hz LP for Lambdas, 2-2.5 Khz for midranges, then up
any way to improve the SQ here?... I'm going for perfect SQ :D well as close as I can get :rolleyes:

I'll be more than happy to provide you with advice that will easily make this pair of speakers worth at least $100,000 . You have some significant design flaws and since we'd be skipping the Ebay commission, I'll assist in the design for the bargain fee of only $999 and shipping is free anywhere in the world. For a limited time, I will include a set of plans for a compact bass horn array absolutely free. Why go ported when you can get more bass output with a smaller cab using more economical drivers using a bass horn array ?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Audiophilenoob said:
2450 watts to midbasses..
2450 watts to midranges
400 watts per side to ribbons (max)

With the efficiency of those speakers, this much power is ridiculous... as has been very well established there is a fairly solid inverse correclation between amplifier output quality & quantity...

you have an opportunity to use some really nice small amps here.... why blow the sonics by using welders?

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Bill Fitzpatrick said:
If he can't provide a decent link, I'm not interested. I'm not going to jump thru hoops.

Here you go Bill... the link is fine, tripod just s&*%s

dave

Attachments

• my_dream_towers.gif
    my_dream_towers.gif
    8.6 KB · Views: 435
One last time and I'll shut up...it seems that you are driven by gettng the highest SPL efficiency instead of the best sound quality. Then you want to pump hundreds to thousands of watts into these very high efficiency speakers. A 100 db/watt speaker allows the use of sweet sounding low wattage Class A amplifiers.

If my spec sheet is correct for the Pro Sound PR17: I have not seen it selected in the forums as the best sounding midrange, it will beami over 2Khz, and with just 0.5mm Xmax it will move very little air even at 300Hz to get over 100db SPL per driver in a monopole. It looks like it is designed for horns.

Some 3-way linesource designers try to take advantage of the extra midrange displacement in n-drivers to cover as much of the 80-3,000 Hz human vocal range as possible. There are 5-5.5" speakers with linear motors that can cover this range

hmmm... I plan to keep these.... hence my dream arrays

only linesource has produced some actual help.

anyone want to explain what is a letdown about this???

I'm using a midrange that is flat at 300 hz to 2 khz... and is noted for awesome SQ

I'm using the TD15X lambda which also is renowned for amazing SQ

and I'm using a DIY ribbon........

I seriously was looking for input... but since linesource is the only one with knowledge I'll go somewhere else

Linesource: It's not so much the high efficency... I just have the midrange and midbass picked out so I need high efficency to keep up... many people hear are in love with the PR17's sound... not it's efficency...

I'm not too interested in some isoteric Class A's cause I don't know if the money justifies the benefit... I will be finding out soon as I ordered a $3000 N.E.W Class A dual channel mono design amp... Early tests show know audible difference on the test speakers between that and the QSC 2450...
I'm going to do some tests where I isolate the tweeter out so it will be easier to hear sonic differences... but as of yet I'm totally unimpressed with the uber expensive class A

johninCR said:
I'll be more than happy to provide you with advice that will easily make this pair of speakers worth at least $100,000 . You have some significant design flaws and since we'd be skipping the Ebay commission, I'll assist in the design for the bargain fee of only $999 and shipping is free anywhere in the world. For a limited time, I will include a set of plans for a compact bass horn array absolutely free. Why go ported when you can get more bass output with a smaller cab using more economical drivers using a bass horn array ?

why would you horn load a Lambda????

that's like horn loading a JL W7 or something... it would destroy it's amazing SQ

:bigeyes:

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well, one thing people mentioned was not to bother getting superhigh power amps, so thats useful information. Also, that the drivers you are interested in aren't easily available/or are unavailable. This is also usable info. Some of the other comments are opinion, and that's always a variable and shows that there isn't unaminity, so at least shows that maybe some more study is a good idea. Take your time on the design. That's also part of the fun- considering different ideas and thinking aboout them.

The rest is because of the feandil link :confused: not too clever...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.