How can I make this design more SQtastic (yes I made it up)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
johninCR said:

Only a line array will do that. That's why my cheapy arrays are in my workshop where I'm constantly moving around. Unless you get way off axis they sound the same. Plus I can play them at a good volume and they aren't super loud when I get up close.

so are you supporting the all out audiophile first design?

johninCR said:

Yes and no. Since you are going active with EQ, then I would strongly suggest getting a sheet of plywood and ripping it in half lengthwise and trying the drivers OB first and give the woofers more line length.

I will try OB first but in my setup I'm not sure it would be ideal... especially since it will be within 1-2 feet from the walls

Unlike boxes OB's can be tuned to meet your placement needs. A little rear wave attentuation usually is sufficient for placement near a rear wall. A layer of fiberfill batting covered by a single layer of 1/2" open cell foam rubber will probably do the trick. You may not even need it at all if you use a flat baffle. I've always used wings which results in a hollow sound when place near a rear wall and a little attenuation clears it right up.

johninCR said:
Unlike boxes OB's can be tuned to meet your placement needs. A little rear wave attentuation usually is sufficient for placement near a rear wall. A layer of fiberfill batting covered by a single layer of 1/2" open cell foam rubber will probably do the trick. You may not even need it at all if you use a flat baffle. I've always used wings which results in a hollow sound when place near a rear wall and a little attenuation clears it right up.

what about a semi-circle OB?

you mean fiberfill and rubber directly over the rear?? like so that no part of the speaker inside can be seen but the waves will still escape?

or just fiberfill and foam on the baffle and wings?

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
My open baffles are just 180 hz and above, and flat.
They sound better and better until you get them about 5' from the wall, then the sound doesn't change. I would say your concerns might be justified.

I haven't tried the attenuation, but probably will. Also you can put similar stuff in panels put on the wall

Variac said:
My open baffles are just 180 hz and above, and flat.
They sound better and better until you get them about 5' from the wall, so I would say your concerns might be justified.

I haven't tried the attenuation, but probably will. Also you can put similar stuff in panels put on the wall

cool... I didn't think about hanging sound panels... still not ideal though

Audiophilenoob said:

what about a semi-circle OB?

you mean fiberfill and rubber directly over the rear?? like so that no part of the speaker inside can be seen but the waves will still escape?

or just fiberfill and foam on the baffle and wings?

I don't know what you mean by semi-circle, we're talking about a line array. The drivers need to face forward, so if you are talking about a curved baffle, the woofers would need to be a separate unit. Yes covering the drivers. Over the back of the drivers will be easier to tune to your liking and you don't have to make it pretty like something on the rear wall. Then cover the whole ugly mess with a speaker cloth like material after you get it tuned to your liking.

With what you are talking about, I'd only put enough wing for baffle rigidity and attach wires from the top to the ceiling, so they can't fall over and kill somebody. Paint the wires so they're virtually invisible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.