Getting the most bass out of a driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Which design would get the most bass out of the Hi-Vi B2S wideband 2"? I want to design a pair of ultra-mini-speakers and I want to know whether it is better to build a transmission line or a vented box (that is, which is better for harnessing the back wave?) The Hi-Vi B2S's are cheap enough for this kind of project, and they'll be driven with about 5 watts.

HK Odyssey

The H/K Odyssey drivers that come in the Apple Pro Speakers are right around 1.5" in diameter, and they are in a sealed enclosure. They are mighty fine, in my opinion, for multimedia drivers. The iSub (as the H/K Apple sub is called) is sold separately, or with the USB SoundSticks.

These drivers are actually smaller than those used in the Bose dual-cube speakers, but they are slightly larger than those used in their Jewel Cube speakers, and of a lot higher quality. They are aluminum-coned.

All I'm going for is percieved bass response, not actual low bass. These need to be relatively compact and look good. These are "casual listening" speakers and won't be used for much more than radio and the occasional CD, and ultimate SQ isn't absolutely necessary. The B2S look like they would be better at the lows than the Tangband 2-inchers.

Parts Express
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=297-432

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: HK Odyssey

BAM said:
The H/K Odyssey drivers that come in the Apple Pro Speakers are right around 1.5" in diameter, and they are in a sealed enclosure. They are mighty fine, in my opinion, for multimedia drivers. The iSub (as the H/K Apple sub is called) is sold separately, or with the USB SoundSticks.

I have a pr of these from my wife's cube (affectionatly called crysal spheres). I'm still not sure whether they are sealed or the elaborate internal structure actually terminates in a very restricted opening (ie aperiodic). The iSub and the sub with the sound sticks are slightly different -- these subs are often called jellyfish subs.

With a Q of 1.2 these would probably like an aperiodic enclosure to get the most extension from a small box.

dave

what does Bose use for the Acoustimass series.

while I am on that topic many years ago I was asked to repair a pair of Bose 301s. the speaker had 1 8" woofer and 2 1" cone tweeters. total driver cost $10 ($7 for the woofer and $1.50 for the tweeters) include cabinet and what they call a crossover (a single cap) and total estimated raw material costs for a pair $50.

They were sold for $300+ that they could sell them for $300 is testament to Bose. Marketing or otherwise (MS has a simialr reputation) Bose was and is able to sell more speakers at better marins than just about anyone else.

From this I gather they dont sound half bad. ;-) :rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.