What would you like to see in a driver group buy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you could pick the drivers for a group buy, what would you want? I started a thread in the Group Buy forum for Vifa XT25TG30-04's, which I've wanted to experiment with, but I'd be willing to organize other buys for different drivers if there is enough interest (only need a 10 pair order to get a significant discount)...

If there's enough interest in a particular driver, I can get specifics together and start a thread in the Group Buys forum.. For now, I'm just trying to gauge interest.

Let me know, thanks...
Matt

Unfortunately, I cant get Jordans at all... I can get Seas drivers, but not the L18 (I can, but I cant get a discount significant enough to justify a group buy (only $2-$3 under what Madisound sells them for).

Other Seas models are better deals, like the Excel line. Here's an example:

Seas Excel W18E-001 7" Magnesium Cone woofer. Group buy price would be $123.00 each. Madisound retails them for $151.35 each, so a group buy price would be about 19% below retail.

If people are interested, I can keep finding quotes. I can arrange orders for Seas, Peerless, Scan-Speak, Vifa and Morel. Usually the minimum order is 20 units (10 pairs).

So far there is no group buy in progress, I'm just seeing if there is enough interest to justify one (or a few). If it seems enough people are interested, I'll start a thread in the Group Buy forum to actually run the group buy.

Within the U.S., I can ship these out via UPS or FedEx (UPS is easier for me, have a UPS store a block away). I'm not opposed to shipping internationally, but I have no experience with customs, tariffs, duties, etc.... I'll check if there's enough interest.

I could get Seas Millenium tweets (T25CF-002) for $130.00 each. Minimum order would be 20 units (10 pairs) They retail at Madisound for $159.00 each, and at Zalytron for $155.30.

Looks like there's not enough benefit to run a group buy for the Seas Coax driver. They retail for $115.00 each, the group buy price would be $109.00 each. I dont think enough people would be willing to wait a few weeks for a group buy to happen to save $6.00... let me know if I'm wrong.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I guess its as you said: it is the premium models that seem to have the best discounts. One good use for the coax's is for home theater, so I thought it might generate orders of 5 or 6 units at a time. Also it might trigger a group of people to actually start their projects.

I agree that the discount is probably too small, but possibly some people would be interested in saving some money on 5 drivers- after all its some savings!

How long would it take you to get say 20 of those drivers to then mail out?

My $0.02 is that you are likely to get the best reponse where there is substantial savings. Just look at the popularity of the Cardas GB. Pricey stuff, but what a discount!
So, for a lot of people, that means drivers that maybe are difficult to get at a decent price. Seas is actually cheaper to buy in Europe than NA. I know I stopped ordering from Parts Express because they kill you on shipping. So I think if you suggested drivers such as Adire or Dayton you would get a good response from overseas.

I'm working on putting together a list of group buy prices for drivers I have access to. I'll post a link to it when its finished.

As for turnaround time, if I place an order (assuming everyone has paid up), I should be able to get the drivers, repack them and ship them out within a week to 10 days.

Fertins I can't get, sorry...

I know I can get Seas, Scan-Speak, Vifa, Peerless, Morel. Possibly Audax, Hi-Vi, Fostex, Accuton, depending on model and availability. It looks like there could be some big savings on some of the Accutons, but I'd have to check availability. One example:

Accuton C23-6 30mm Ceramic Dome Supertweeter. Retails for about $210.00 each. Group buy price would be about $152.00, or $58.00 (about 28%) off.

I think I remember correctly that in units of 500 the BG Neo 8 could be had for around 13 US each - (a rather substantial savings over the normal $63 price).

The drivers are ideally suited to line arrays (so chances are that more units would be sold to each purchaser).

The driver's performance has been measured and subjectivly assesed as being more than good (essentially Manger-like but with a rising response, a subdued top octave, and a slightly higer fs resonance.) On the up-side it has a vastly superior dispersion pattern higher in freq..

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=63279#post63279

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=54648

All-in-all I don't think you would find a better canidate for a group purchase than this driver..

edit: also the varieties of driver loading could be VERY interesting as I noted here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54496&pagenumber=4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.