Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

T/S for HP130Z2 ??
T/S for HP130Z2 ??
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2005, 04:51 PM   #1
Dick West is offline Dick West  United States
diyAudio Member

Default T/S for HP130Z2 ??

A certain ebay seller has auctioning a bunch of these from the Hales business closeout. First he lists them as a bass/mid then he lists them as a midrange driver. Then he shows an Fs of 156 Hz and then with an Fs of 56Hz.

What are these things? What is their Fs? Can anyone help with the "real" specs? I've searched around but can't find anything posted for this particular Audax driver. How should I use them -- midrange only or bass/mid.

And, can the specs below be trusted to use in a box modelling software?

Power handling: 40 watts RMS/80 watts max *
Voice coil diameter: 1" *
Voice coil inductance: .37 mH *
Nominal impedance: 6 ohms *
DC resistance: 5.2 ohms *
Frequency range: 55-8,500 Hz *
Magnet weight: 24 oz. *
Fs: 56.9 Hz *
SPL: 87.8 dB 2.83V/1m *
Vas: .79 cu. ft. *
Qms: 2.1 * Qes: .51 *
Qts: .41 * Xmax: 3mm *
Net weight: 3 lbs. *
Overall Diameter: 5-5/8",
Cutout Diameter: 4-7/16",
Mounting Depth: 2-5/8",
Magnet Diameter: 4"

These drivers have these numbers on the back: 102290N 143/00.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Dick
Old 15th April 2005, 05:13 PM   #2
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

The HP130Z0 parameters are on the audax site.
Don't know the difference between the Z0 and the Z2 however.

/Hugo
Old 15th April 2005, 06:41 PM   #3
Zaph is offline Zaph  United States
diyAudio Member

The part number looked familar so I dug through my stuff and found it. I tested a pair of those once.

Fs: 156.25 Hertz
Qts: 0.4165
Qes: 0.5192
Qms: 2.1058
Vas: 2.2600 litres
Re: 4.5908 ohms
Le: 0.4716 mH
SPL: 94.03 dB 1w/1m
BL: 5.69

Maybe it was for the same guy who is selling them on Ebay, I can't remember. The first Fs listing of 156 is right on, so I suspect somehow my test results are shown. These are high efficiency midranges, way different in design and usage than the normal aerogel drivers. Very nice, but definitely not for midbass use.
Attached Images
File Type: gif hp130z2-response-infinitebaffle.gif (10.4 KB, 403 views)
Old 15th April 2005, 07:35 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for confirming my suspicions about these drivers and about the accuracy of this eBay seller's description of them. I got a pair of them many months ago, then read the fine print, and challenged him on his description, told them these are midrange only drivers and not the Bass/Mid drivers as advertised. Needless to say P_____k W_____n and I got into a ******* contest. But, he did change his listing to Midrange but still down in the body of the eBay ad he had Bass/Mid. Now, he is back to calling them Bass/Mid drivers. I guess "Bass" sells, regardless of whether the drivers can produce it or not.

I appreciate your specs. I lurk a lot at Madisound but am still reluctant to get into measuring and designing as speaker building is too much a part time thing for me. As long as guys like you can help me keep pointed in the right direction my needs are satisfied by building kits or using some of the excellent material people such as yourself post for the public.

Many thanks. You are an asset to this hobby.
Old 15th April 2005, 10:29 PM   #5
Lionel is offline Lionel  France
diyAudio Member

Hi Zaph .

Your numbers seem strange to me since this is the specification for the HP100ZO (4") on Madisound website :
HP100Z0

Moreover some guys have tested the AP100Z0 (shielded version of the above) and found FS around 65 hz after breaking.

How can you explain that the HP130Z0 (5.25") has a so high FS ?
Old 15th April 2005, 11:08 PM   #6
ultrachrome is offline ultrachrome  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lionel
Well, maybe if it had a flat surround like the PR170M0? 170mm woofer with 117Hz resonance. But that woofer on Ebay has a different surround.

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.
Old 15th April 2005, 11:49 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Lionel,

Here we are discussing the HP130Z2, not the HP130Z0. They are two quite different drivers.

I followed Audax drivers as they went from the 0ZO versions to the 0Z1 and 0Z2 models. In one of them the Fs went down, in another the Fs went up.

The HP130Z2 under discussion here has never had its specs listed in public, as far as I know. Unless some one knows conclusively differently, I believe this driver was a special order for Hales. Hales folded rather abruptly 2-3 years ago leaving a large stock of unused drivers to sell. This HP130Z2 seems to have been made for Hales to use as a midrange driver but this eBay seller is auctioning them off as a bass/mid driver, which I believe is wrong.

Read my original post and that by John Krutke and I think we all can get onto the same idea. Unless others have actually measured this driver we don't know what it is. Apparently John has. I have no measuring equipment else I would.
Old 15th April 2005, 11:50 PM   #8
Lionel is offline Lionel  France
diyAudio Member

Good evening (?) Canada.

Quote:
Well, maybe if it had a flat surround like the PR170M0?
Prefix in Audax P/N defines the type of the speaker.
For exemple "PR" is "professional" range...

My question is how can you explain that the HP100Z0 (4") has a lower FS than the HP130Z0 (5.25") ?
This question concerns 2 products of the same type (HP prefix).

Have a nice week-end.
Old 15th April 2005, 11:54 PM   #9
pinkmouse is offline pinkmouse  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

T/S for HP130Z2 ??
Lionel

Simple, it was designed to have a higher FS, to be used in different applications. There used to be a Precision Devices 10" that had an FS of about 150Hz. Size has nothing to do with it.
“One of the poets, whose name I cannot recall, has a passage, which I am unable at the moment to remember, in one of his works, which for the time being has slipped my mind, which hits off admirably this age-old situation.”
― PG Wodehouse
Old 15th April 2005, 11:59 PM   #10
Zaph is offline Zaph  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lionel
Hi Zaph .

Your numbers seem strange to me since this is the specification for the HP100ZO (4") on Madisound website :
HP100Z0

Moreover some guys have tested the AP100Z0 (shielded version of the above) and found FS around 65 hz after breaking.

The 4" HP100Z0 is a completely different, unrelated driver. Note that I tested several of the 4"ers and the specs average out to Qts-.56, Fs-81 hz and Vas-2.4 l.

The HP130Z0 is also a completely different driver than the HP130Z2. The Z2 version has a larger magnet, and much lower moving mass than the Z1 version, which is obviously directly related to it's huge increase in efficiency. The Z2 has a thinner and lighter cone, and a shorter voice coil. It's also got a cloth surround with a rubberized coating. Great sounding driver, but it's a pure midrange.

I agree that it would be misleading in any way to call this speaker a woofer.

T/S for HP130Z2 ??Hide this!Advertise here!