how do you do a measurement?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi people!

I was wondering if there is any way to make a good plot of my room response?

I think i have an old cd with test tones from "Infinity".
And I do have one of those old radio shack sound level meters.
I guess I should just draw a plot on paper of dB vs freq and then record the measurements?

I noticed last nite, i had to tweak the hel* out of my yamaha rxv800 to get my center channel to sound right. it seems since i moved it to a new room, (the speakers), that things got very bass-y. All dialog had a muffled sound and the low end was just too much. luckily the rxv800 has an EQ from the centrem as well as ability to tweak the dB output from each channel by about +/- 10 dB... i had to boost the center way up to +7.5 and give the 1khz and 3khz in the center a boost as well. I'm interested to get an overall measurement of the room now... to see how good or bad it is on paper. It sure sounds fine but I know that with measurements like this, i can really nail down my speaker placements. I'm sure there is software to do it, but my mic on my pc is a piece of crap, i doubt it can measure all the freq's that the speakers put out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.