New Danish Ribbon used in best CES 2005 speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There's a new "Ribbon" tweeter out there used by Eben out of Denmark

This $ 15000 speaker was named best loudspeaker on CES 2005

The units it's using are from Audio Technology and a new tweeter developed by Raidho

Has anyone heard this tweeter or know how the off axis performance is ?

http://www.eben.dk/eben/reviews/index-reviews-eben-at-ces.htm

The Raidho Planar Tweeter
Designed and manufactured entirely by Raidho,
the FTT75 drive unit is used throughout the
Eben X-Streme Series. Extremely unusual,
the ribbon diaphragm operates as a sealed unit,
constrained right around its periphery. This delivers
a unique balance of virtues: an extremely low moving
mass, exceptional extension and power handling,
but most importantly of all, ideal dispersion characteristics
when it comes to integration with a conventional dynamic
driver. The end result is a performance that extends
from 3.5 KHz to beyond 50 KHz, yet does so with totally
convincing speed, resolution and dynamic integrity.

Attachments

• the-tweeter_02.jpg
    the-tweeter_02.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 1,134
Those Eben tweeters are available (without horn) at www.deaudiofabriek.nl. The owner speaks english so do not be afraid of the dutch page. He is also a distributer of Audiotechnology units in the Netherlands.

I have made a small monitor speaker using the C-Quenze 15H and Raidho tweeter. Below is a picture of the test setup (temp enclosure).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

DIY_newbie said:
What is the cost of these new ribbons? Are they onpar with fountek/AC/Raven or are they in a whole different price class?

--Chris

I understand that the FTT75 is one from the best tweeter that you can buy today. muchbetter from many other tweeters because that them sealed ribbon and need use with room for the tweeter.
The price is 300 Euro incl. VAT 19%

Gnev said:
Taco: How did it sound? A mini Review maybe?

It is a nice sounding speaker, the C-quenze 15H woofer is very very dynamic (high accelartion factor), and that is the reason why I have chosen to pair it with the Raidho. This combination sounds very natural, it has not the "snap" of most paper cones (like older Scanspeak/ Vifa/ Audax), but it has a very fluid presentation.

The tweeter has lots of details, but is not so natural sounding as a Scanspeak 7000 or Eton ER4. Compared to a Esg 2 (Aurum Cantus) the Raidho wins hands down, better dispersion and a cleaner presentation of the details. I big disadvantage of the Raidho is its limited frequency response, it should be crossed >3000Hz, if you use conventional x-over slopes.

FTT 75

Using the FTT 75 at 2 KHz is not a problem. The tweeter is semi sealed so it has a natural 1 order roll of satring at app 2.5 KHz. But as it has a high seansitivty of 93-94 dB's the response can be extended as low as 2 KHz. Cross it over 1. order with 15uF, damp it with a series resistor of 3,3 ohms paralelled with 0.22 uF. Then you'll have a picture perfect 2.order roll off at 2 KHz with 90 dB sensitivity.
The tweeter is robust an can easily handle this as it has no resosnance frequensy as mass loadede systems has.
Further more it stores no energy as it has no mass. (0.01g). The main difference to other ribbon is that its sealed and as such operates much more like the conventional units they are sopposed to operate with. (compared to other ribbons). The tweeters are structured very much like the units from Mundorf, but has only half the membrane mass. At first the tweeters can sound a bit dull- recessed, but when you work with it you soon realise that it because of the total lack of noise. and that you hear time smear from the used midrange. I have tremendously good results with dedicated midranges. But its not easy to find the perfect partner. When I analyse measurement results i can see the imperfections af almost any midrange I've tried. The waterfall of the tweeter is like a brickwall with a rise and setteling time faster than my measureing equipment. (50 KHz). When I measure the tweeters on axsis they have extension to the very limit, but not in a very large spot. A few degress off axis they roll off. They seem to have horisontal dispersion like a 30 mm dome. Wich makes sense ar the membrane is 30 mm wide. The vertical dispesion is more limited an they start to roll of at 10 KHz 30 degress of axis (above or below).

Re: FTT 75

MiiB said:
At first the tweeters can sound a bit dull- recessed, but when you work with it you soon realise that it because of the total lack of noise. and that you hear time smear from the used midrange. I have tremendously good results with dedicated midranges. But its not easy to find the perfect partner. When I analyse measurement results i can see the imperfections af almost any midrange I've tried.

So MiiB:
Which midrange did you like best with this tweeter?
Which one matches the best. In your opinion?

Thanks

I've had exelent results with the skaaning 4" in a midrange configuration with underhung woicecoil and kapton former. I have also had good results with the audax HM 100 Z0. Also the Acuton C 90 ceramic driver is good.
Al these units has good qualities. Each holds very disireable qualities. If one could only combine the best iof these in one unit. I still have to explore the vitues of the smaller scanspeak units.
I dont fancy the new sliced paper, but I wery much like the sound of the old 8546 kevlar. It just too slow and wolud reguire a time step of app 100 mm. (I always time align units prior to filtereing).
I have a keen eye og the old 120 mm kevlar scan midrange, but to be frank i havent tried it yet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.