Open Baffle Nearfield

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction regarding open baffle nearfields. Most of the OB stuff I've seen here or elsewhere on the net is HUGE! I would like to experiment with nearfields based around a 4 or 5 inch driver. The general purpose would be to compliment my current studio monitors: Yamaha NS10M and Auratones. Neither of these are great speakers, I know, but they are highly useful for mixing. Essentially, I am in search of transparency (who isn't I guess.) My thought is that since microphones are not housed in resonant boxes, neither should speakers.

Any links, thoughts, suggestions...? I appreciate it!

Brian

All I can tell you is that my current speakers are OB line arrays using the PE NSB's that are discussed widely on the net. I never listened to OB's before building these. By contrast, I think it would be very hard to go back to the "box" sound. Comparitively, the sound seems much cleaner and, obviously, a lot less boomy.

I use Tuba 18's (rolled up horn) on the bottom ~ <180Hz. These are boxed, but they are vastly different than the standard band pass and vented dreck.

Hi Brian,

I have two sets of OB's that I use in the nearfield at my desk. Maybe you'll be lucky and not have to have a computer monitor in front of you acting like a black hole. With one set I use a Fostex FE206E with a 10" realistic driver for bass support. The other is just a Fostex FE127E. With the 206 I can run without a sub, but the 127 needs one or at least a helper woofer. Baffle size is really something you have to experiment with because there are just too many variables, but in the nearfield you don't need big baffles and cardboard makes experimentation easy. If you can integrate a sub into the picture, then quite small baffles can work great.

well, I had some 3" tang band (w3-871s) on open baffle as an ambiophonics demonstrator.
Worked better as a q-sound demonstration actually.

10" away, they had bass, lower than the 1/4 wave cancellation point.

Further away, less and less bass till not much below 500hz @ 10'.

So, 3-6' away ?

I'm not sure.

This is what I'm thinking. I like the late reflections, ok in my small room for small group recordings but it doesn't work so well for orchestra, I'm starting to look at other ways to get much later "reflections" (delay) for sense of a larger space.

How do you mean sound gets weird nearfield, why?

^Dipole needs space around and also distance with low freq/long wavelength summation to happen. Combining dipole source to monopole bass and often monopole or bipole treble easily makes radiation and delay, and thus sound signature to variate too much between frequency ranges. Combining and controlling these is quite a challenge! First there is feeling of added space and ambience, but it might be too much, specially for monitoring purpose.

Well, the perfect dipole does seem to require 4-way, at least, don't want to go there :) I have a Jordan Eikona in VTL cab with removable back, so, OB at best ;) separate U-frame woofers, so bass isn't an issue for my nearfield listening to the widebands, I do have fun playing with them for sure :D

^Dipole needs space around and also distance with low freq/long wavelength summation to happen. Combining dipole source to monopole bass and often monopole or bipole treble easily makes radiation and delay, and thus sound signature to variate too much between frequency ranges. Combining and controlling these is quite a challenge! First there is feeling of added space and ambience, but it might be too much, specially for monitoring purpose.

Oh, one word missing "..uneven" or "varying"

Coaxial MT should be nice for nearfield dipole, but it would have to be 3-way again. I would try that with new TangBand 8" coax, because of moderate cone resonance allowing high xo. The tweeter doesn't radiate backwards, LR2 around 4kHz might be worth trying. Yes there is cone resonance 3-5kHz, but xo smooths it quite a bit. I recently listened to SEAS MR18 as dipole MT, it has more resonance but I couldn't hear it. WM xo depends on how much distortion is allowed for the dipole midrange, the lower the better, around 300Hz.

TB new line of Coax FR drivers

TB W8
W8-2314_S.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.