ESS Speakers - replace foam surrounds , new woofers or new cabinets?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have some ESS model 8's with rotted woofer surruonds. I've never been really impressed with the mid-range to low end, but love the mid-high to high from the Heil's. Also, don't particularly like the size of the cabinet for the bass response/quality.
They are a 100watt, 6 ohm, 2400hz, 1watt=94db @3 ft (80db @15 ft) 50hz to 20khz system. Dimen 22x12.25x10.6"

I am fairly newbie to speaker construction, although pretty well-rounded d.i.y. Not a heavy low bass fanatic, although I like tight mid-low, and I do have a decent powered sub for those Jurrassic Park occassions.

1. How impractical would it be to retrofit the Heil's into another smaller cabinet system or kit? Same cross-overs? Different woofers?

2. Or should I replace/upgrade the 8" bass drivers and if so with what? Would the system 6 ohm/ 94db efficiency pose a problem to match up, or would the crossovers need to be modified?

3. Or Just replace the foam surrounds, sell the speakers and get
what in a moderately priced smaller cabinet or bookshelf.

Any advice most appreciated,
Bob

Hello Bob, you will surely get a number of different answers to this question, but here's mine. I personally love the sound of the AMT tweeters, your unit uses the smaller ones. ESS really tried unsuccessfully to match these units with woofers too large to blend well, thus the problems with the low end you express.

IMHO the small AMT crosses well like a standard tweeter at about 2.2 - 2.5k (I think ESS tried to cross it at 1800). This doesn't match well with many 8" woofers. It does however match well with many 7" drivers. No matter which way you look at it, the crossover will have to be reworked. If you don't feel comfortable working on the crossover, or have someone that is; refoam the woofers and enjoy it or sell it, then buy a kit. If you like the sound of the AMT tweeter, here's a kit I think you would like.

http://www.lonesaguaro.com/speakers/DaytonRS7/Cryolite.htm

Hi John,
Thanks for the nice post. I'm not really thrilled with the low-mid/high bass response from the model 8's especially relative to their size in a two-way system, unless you think they could be easily fitted with a 7" woofer as you mentioned. With the passive radiators, the low bass (within their capabilities) doesn't seem to be as much of a hole as the low-mid to high bass - IMVHOP, please correct me if you disagree.

Hidden from my wife, I do sleep with various soldering implements, but I don't feel comfortable reworking the crossovers without very specific spoon-feeding or paying someone to do it.

Then again, I may be better off $-wise leaving the ESS as original, refoaming and selling them, if there is a viable alternative for my Heil-loving ears? In my shoes, is this what you would do? And if so....Ebay(?) for the ESS and any guess on what they might bring?

I have some ESS model 8's with rotted woofer surruonds. I've never been really impressed with the mid-range to low end, but love the mid-high to high from the Heil's. Also, don't particularly like the size of the cabinet for the bass response/quality.
They are a 100watt, 6 ohm, 2400hz, 1watt=94db @3 ft (80db @15 ft) 50hz to 20khz system. Dimen 22x12.25x10.6"

I am fairly newbie to speaker construction, although pretty well-rounded d.i.y. Not a heavy low bass fanatic, although I like tight mid-low, and I do have a decent powered sub for those Jurrassic Park occassions.

1. How impractical would it be to retrofit the Heil's into another smaller cabinet system or kit? Same cross-overs? Different woofers?

2. Or should I replace/upgrade the 8" bass drivers and if so with what? Would the system 6 ohm/ 94db efficiency pose a problem to match up, or would the crossovers need to be modified?

3. Or Just replace the foam surrounds, sell the speakers and get
what in a moderately priced smaller cabinet or bookshelf.

Any advice most appreciated,
Bob

Greetings Bob! I from Russia. At me precisely such ESS MODEL 8. The sound from ниж too very much is pleasant to me. On the middle and мид a bass I use loudspeakers SFR 175 SONIDO, and in суб bass RFT L3701. Acoustics of the new generation which have been not surpassed in reproduction of a sound, owing to the technical features. A name of a design of the TORNADO. Acoustics has turned out enough compact despite 40 centimeters of diameter RFT L3701. A bottom fast, as at an open string of a musical instrument. I am very happy with this acoustics, and many come on a visit and are surprised a sound. Probably I think it is necessary to look at the similar.... I as was engaged for the first time in building for myself acoustics, and know - it has turned out! Dear brands have a rest!!! Here I will put the reference to a photo of this miracle>>>

http://tornado.ucoz.de/_fr/0/9600369.jpg
http://tornado.ucoz.de/_fr/0/6096193.jpg
http://tornado.ucoz.de/_fr/0/9188021.jpg

If there will be a desire to make, will be glad to help, so ка for me it is already passed stage.

And I had a trouble, from for bad распайки has burned down one year ago one of ESS MODEL 8, and I now in despair as on our continent such isn't present.... And a sound decent and to compare to what another it is difficult. If there is what that the technical information on this product or as it I will repair very grateful.... (It it is necessary so to happen has burned down one year ago one of ESS MODEL 8 :((()

Yours faithfully! With wishes of good mood, good weather, with greetings from Moscow KIRILL.

And I had a trouble, from for bad распайки has burned down one year ago one of ESS MODEL 8, and I now in despair as on our continent such isn't present.... And a sound decent and to compare to what another it is difficult. If there is what that the technical information on this product or as it I will repair very grateful.... (It it is necessary so to happen has burned down one year ago one of ESS MODEL 8 :((() >>> What to me to do?.......
http://tornado.ucoz.de/_fr/0/7307697.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.