Need help selecting between two budget 10" drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dayton classic 10". 295-315 @ www.partsexpress.com

and

MCM 55-1945 @ www.mcminone.com

T/S parms for the 55-1945 are:-

Qms 3.6
Qes .35
Qts .35
Vas 110 lt
Fs 26hz
Mag Wt 35oz
Xmax 5.0mm
SPL 89db
Watts 70W, 105W peak

This is for a 1.3 cu.ft vented(but could be sealed if needed) enclosure for a 3-way.

There are a couple of projects using the Dayton but I cant find any information on the MCM. Not quite sure if its intended for subwoofer duty or driver(woofer) duty. The specs look good but I have no idea how it sounds or the frequency response or the build quality. Although the heavier magnet and higer Qms/lower Qes make it attractive.

Any inputs appreciated! Thanks!

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Where's the TS for the Dayton?

If you want a sub thats good for ported use, the general concesus is that the lower Qts the better.

Using the good old FS/Qes you can determine a rough guide for suitability.

In this case 26(Fs)/ 0.35(Qes) = 74

What does 74 mean? Well any number under 50 is an excellent candidate for sealed application, a number over 100 is great for ported. Anything inbetween like this could be considered for either depending on requirements.

Personally I'd go with sealed or a TL but that's not to say that reflex isn't good when done well. Just my preference really.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.