Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Orion Amplification Question
Orion Amplification Question
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2005, 04:18 PM   #1
żGotJazz? is offline żGotJazz?  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Orion Amplification Question

I am currently building a surround sound system based on S. Linkwitz's Orion speakers.

For my amplification, I have determined that I will need 14 channels of amplification - 8 channels for the main speakers and 2 channels each for the three surround speakers.

I am trying to find decent amplification for a reasonable price. I am currently looking at the Panasonic SAXR-50 and the Kenwood VRS-7100. I am leaning towards the VRS-7100 because it seemed to run cooler and didn't have vents on the top.

Has anybody used either of these two amps? Did they work well?

Also, are there any other suggestions?

Thanks!

żGotJazz?
Old 8th March 2005, 07:53 PM   #2
john k... is offline john k...  United States
diyAudio Member

You are looking at the wrong speaker. Take a look at my NaO design at http://www.musicanddesign.com/ Please go tot he old frre sight and look over the NaO.

If you can be patient undil the end of March I think you will be rewarded with the upcomming NaO II. For a setup like you are thinking you would need only a total of 6 channels of amplification. 4 for the L and R mains and 1 each for surrounds.
Old 8th March 2005, 09:24 PM   #3
Davey is online now Davey  United States
diyAudio Member

Oh for crying out load John.

Jazz,

IMHO your best bet would be to DIY a multi-channel amp(s) similar to some of the excellent projects folks are building nowadays. I dunno...maybe a gainclone, UcD180, etc. There are some nice designs.

If you want to buy something ready to go I'd consider the ATI-6012 twelve channel amp. Convert/build your three surround speakers to passive and you'll be set. 8 channels plus 3 (with a fourth surround as an option) all from one amplifier. You might find one used or you could get a new one via Siegfried for a good price. Yes, a bit more money than a combination of two or more multi-channel recievers, but it is an excellent and more simple solution.

Another option would be to keep your eyes peeled on Ebay for a couple of used five/six channel amps. Maybe something like a Carver AV405X or similar.

Cheers,

Davey.
Old 8th March 2005, 10:39 PM   #4
żGotJazz? is offline żGotJazz?  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Davey - Useful advice, as always!

John, I am already deep into construction of my Orions. Changing to another design now (even if it may be better) would make little sense.
Old 8th March 2005, 10:46 PM   #5
catapult is offline catapult
diyAudio Member

I don't think the Kenwood has multichannel inputs. The Panny will work but you'll only be able to use 5 amp channels per receiver (5.1 input) so you'll need 3 of them. As well, some people have complained about the quality of the A/D converters in the Panny and say it only sounds good with a digital input.

A nice looking receiver that Davey pointed out on another forum is the Marantz SR4500. It has 80 watts/channel and a 7.1 input so you can use all the amp channels and you'd only need 2 receivers. That's rare in the low-priced receivers; most only have a 5.1 input. Full retail is US$429 and you should be able to find it a little cheaper. So 2 of the Marantz would be about 1/2 the cost of the ATI and would give you all 14 channels you need.

http://us.marantz.com/shop/_template...model=7&cat=15

Edit: if you do want to go the ATI route (great amps - most likely better quality than the Marantz) you might consider the Outlaw 7100. It's made by ATI and has 7x100 watts. Two of them would set you back $1800 and give you your 14 channels.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/7100.html
Old 9th March 2005, 05:35 AM   #6
RHosch is offline RHosch  United States
diyAudio Member

Another option is picking up a couple of used 6 channel Rotel amps, 956 or 976 I think. Or, you could look at the low powered Niles distribution amps... 12 channels of about 30W each. You can find those online from "unauthorized" dealers pretty cheap... authorized is a bit over $1000 IIRC.

The 7.1 receivers mentioned are also good options for the budget minded.
Old 9th March 2005, 06:27 AM   #7
AJinFLA is offline AJinFLA  United States
Banned

For a little over $600, you could use 2 of these
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/HTIB/HTR5760.htm
8ch thru-put, 95w X 7 rms(20-20k), decent low impedance capability, damping factor,etc. As long as you dont drive them close to clipping (which would be VERY loud with the Orions) they will be indistiguishable from any other solid state amplifier.
BTW, my speakers are based on the Orions.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ajinfl...1966/my_photos
Old 9th March 2005, 12:00 PM   #8
PeteW is offline PeteW  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to PeteW
AJinFLA,

Those speakers look fantastic! Congratulations.

What is the material around the seas and the tweeter? Perspex or lexan or something, and how thick is it? And how did you put them together? I'm just about to start my own dipole project and would love to end up with something that looked half as good as yours.

Thanks,
Pete.
Old 9th March 2005, 03:21 PM   #9
sdclc126 is offline sdclc126  United States
diyAudio Member

Default "You Are Looking At The Wrong Speakers..."

Wow - what an arrogant thing to say; first of all, this guy is looking for an AMPLIFIER, not speakers. Second, if you want to sell your design, I would highly recommend in the future you choose less caustic words with which to do it, rather than panning competitive designs. You may be a good loudspeaker designer, but you're no salesman, not to mention just being civil.
Old 9th March 2005, 04:24 PM   #10
jholtz is offline jholtz  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: "You Are Looking At The Wrong Speakers..."

Just a FYI.... John doesn't sell speakers. His design is free and it's state of the art. A gentleman that built the NaO had them at the Iowa DIY event last fall and the sound was stunning just as I'm sure the Orion is. The NaO is just a lot less expensive which is the way I understood John's post. Obviously, you didn't.

If you've read any of SL's posts you'll find that both he and John tend not to "sugar coat" their posts or responses. They just state what they feel is correct and you can take it anyway you want.

HTH

Jim

Quote:
Originally posted by sdclc126
Wow - what an arrogant thing to say; first of all, this guy is looking for an AMPLIFIER, not speakers. Second, if you want to sell your design, I would highly recommend in the future you choose less caustic words with which to do it, rather than panning competitive designs. You may be a good loudspeaker designer, but you're no salesman, not to mention just being civil.

Orion Amplification QuestionHide this!Advertise here!