Freq Response Measurements of PHL drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
PHL 1340 in box. But dont remember the dimensions.

IMHO PHLs are very good drivers but only for midrange.

Attachments

• phl1340.gif
    phl1340.gif
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,404
Hi Alex,

I have an active setup and several speakers I switch between.

1) WWMTM with Peerless 12” XLS bass, Seas W18EX Excel mids, and the Seas Millennium tweeters.

2) WWMTM with Peerless 12” XLS bass, PHL 1340, and the Seas Millennium tweeters / Morel 110 Supreme.

3) WMT with Eminence Kappa Pro 15LF2 bass, PHL1120 mid and the Morel 110 Supreme.

I also have various other setups including drivers from Scanspeak and others.

Ultimately I keep coming back to speaker 3. with the PHL 1120 mid.

The thing I like about it is ease. It just never sounds strained. Its super dynamic, has great imaging and is just very musical on all music.

The FR of the PHL drivers is not as good as some others, but they are more then accurate enough to sound very neutral and have other qualities that easily outperform other drivers.

Branwell

Attachments

• dsc01333s.jpg
    dsc01333s.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 919
Hi Bill,

The system is active.
The CDP Digital Out is plugged into a Behringer DCX2496.
The DCXs analog outputs are plugged into a custom 6-channel volume control.
The volume control is plugged into a 6 channel ATI 1806 amp ( one channel per driver ).

I tend to change the crossover setting around about once a week, but they are currently set at 393hz LR-24 bass to mid and 2510hz LR –24 mid to tweeter.
The time delay is .29ms bass to mid and .41ms bass to tweeter. All drivers same polarity.

The mid does sound good crossed over as low as 300hz with 12db filters, but much below that, looses its ability to be totally effortless.

Branwell

Thanks for the reply Branwell. I was thinking maybe a Morel Supreme on the top end also... Either that or a Hiquphon OWI or Focal TD120. But on the botton end a 12" driver is about my limit. I would love a 15" but it is just too big for my tastes. For a crossover I was thinking about using Brutefir for a couple weeks until i find optimal crossover frequencies and then building an active crossover from scratch. I think Ill probably end up using a Lambda TD12 for 35-400hz. For the mid/treble Im considering going open baffle and sealed for the bass.
Branwell, do u have any pictures of your setup or frequency response measurements?

Thanks
Alex

Alex,

I have the Hic OW1 and have used it with the 1120. It’s a very nice sounding tweeter, but honestly, its just not as dynamic as the 1120 and this mismatch can be heard.
I haven’t tried the Focal 120, so cant comment on that one.

At to open baffle on the mid, I’ve done that with the 1120 and it works fine.

Branwell

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.