Possible enclosure materials?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I stumbled onto this site which sells tambour wood sheets (like the moving part of a roll-top desk). It occurred to me that if you used a rib-type construction (much like an airplane wing), that you could use this sheeting to make non-rectangular cabinet cross-sections easily. This could avoid parallel surfaces within the cabinet, yet avoid the column resonances that you can get from Sonotubes. Does that sound feasible?

Here's the link:
http://www.surfacingsolution.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=browse&id=420339&pageid=66

I also had an idea on making small non-resonant sealed enclosures for small drivers... using common concrete blocks. Just glue a baffle board to one side, use mortar to attach a thin concrete cap block to the back side, and you're done. You can select "corner" blocks to get nice neat corners, avoiding the protruding ends of standard blocks. You could also stack several hollow blocks for greater interior volume, and perhaps partially knock out the center dividing rib to connect the two empty spaces within the blocks.

Anyway, just some food for thought.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.