New to DIY... Looking for something w/ high sensitivity.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To be honest, I'm not sure that picking up the tweeters was a great idea, in that you could probably have done a classic compression driver/pro woofer 2-way which would have been far simpler. The 3-way xover that you're now facing will be a much bigger challenge than a 2-way.

However, for a relatively cheap mid that is efficient and should be relatively decent look at the Ciare 6 or 8" ceramic drivers here:
http://www.assistanceaudio.com/08_Ciare.html . They're starting to get a bit ragged high up, so getting them up to 5-6k might be tight, but you'll be facing that with any driver. They're ~$40each, leaving you ~75/side for the woofers. (the 6" specs list a 92db efficiency, but the chart shows closer to 100 for most of the range. I'm not sure which to trust)

For the woofers, you'll have to look at pro drivers, as there is nothing in the 'hi-fi'
realm that will be anywhere close to the efficiency you need. Basically, get the best pro 15" you can afford, and put it in a big box tuned with an EBS alignment. You should get decent extension to ~40Hz with this. (Selenium 15PW3CE from PartsExpress looks pretty good - unlikely you'll do much better for the $)

I've decided to try a Beta 10 + 2 Peerless MF 122 + those tweets

I only ordered the drivers for 1 speaker, so it won't be too bad if they don't work so well together. I may need to attenuate the tweets a dB or 2, but I'll wait and see how they work when I get them.

The reason I got planar tweets is because my friend keeps telling me they sound so much better... If they're not my thing, not much wasted, ya know?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.