First DIY Project - Advice Needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone, long time reader, first time poster here.

I've always been interested in building my own speakers, and have finally decided to go ahead with it.

Anyways, i found these a while ago at a local surplus shop.

www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027204&page=2

I bought just the speakers, 5 of them. Currently using them with my Reciever and they work pretty good, but i think i can turn them into something better.

My plan is to use the 2 Drivers in each one for a speaker, pair them up with 2 of these www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=276-152&scqty=4

And use 2 of the subwoofers in each speaker for the fronts. The center and surrounds will just have the small speakers and the tweeters in them. I would split the sub out line in 2 for them, hopefully that works.

I dont know much about the JVC's i have, but looking at the back the top Driver is 8 Ohms and the Bottom one is 7. SO i figured this gives me 3.5 Ohms, i punched that into the crossover calculator at www.carstereo.com and put in 4 ohms for the tweeter, and i figure crossing them over at 5,000 is good.

I was gonna go with a 2nd Order Linkwitz-Riley.

Finally for the subs i was gonna run them in Parralel, each one is rated at 6 Ohms. Was gonna build the towers tall and somewhat skinny with the subs on the side.

Was thinking of two of these, and i would order Flared port tubes.

www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-792&scqty=2

I'm worried about them being 3 ohms though, do you think the amp could handle it ? I wouldn't turn it up to full since that would probablly fry these things anyways. Also, do i have to add anything to the woofers (Capacitors or anything) when using a sub amp.

I was planning Quadpole for the rears, with the drivers on the top and bottom, and the tweeters on the sides.

Any advice is highly welcome, this is kinda just a Starter Project for me, and will prolly end up in the bedroom or in the basement. Just want to learn as much as i can from it and then start a real project with nice speakers from parts express.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Dan, I would go with a proven and much simpler first design if I were you. A two way using those Audax tweeters, or since you can source the tangband W3-871S easily and cheaply in Canada, I would start there perhaps. There's always the kit option too. Personally I wouldn't waste my time with them JVC thingy's as you can purchase good quality drivers cheap anyway.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.