Biamped Open baffle/Sealed Comments pls

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok.. I think I'm getting close to finalizing the design for my nest speaker and would like to get your thoughts. The design is a mixed Open Baffle,Dipole /sealed speaker. The woofer would be sealed, The mids will be open baffle, and I am thinking about putting a rearfiring tweeter on the back of the baffle too. The speaker will be active between the woofer and the mids/tweeter.

The drivers are ( I allready have them and therefore don't want to change them):

Woofers: Peerless 10"CSX
Mids: Either Vifa P13s or Peerless HDS 850488
Tweeter: Morel MDT33s

Haven't decided on a rear tweeter yet. Any thoughts???

Here' a conceptual drawing.

Attachments

• drmdipole.jpg
    drmdipole.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 330
:eek: your design looks very similar to lorpen audio models[ just google for lorpen and it will bring up the site;) he uses a similar configuration:cannotbe: and it does sound very nice the difference is the woofers which are 8 in in a br encl but to my knowledge does not use a rear firing tweet, [which to my thinking would diffuse the stereo image]cheers have fun TC:D

FWIW...I like dipole best at low frequencies...best box is no box. Your general design is very good looking (like Phoenix/Orion hybrid) and could be adapted to dipole woofer very easily, unless you have large room/no sub.

Dipole upper mid and highs promote to many room reflections for me...depending on placement and room treatment, the sound may be on a "grand scale", but imaging can be weak.

I have used P13...it can sound very smooth and polite, but not exceptionally detailed.

"sorta" dipoles w/resistive loading

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.