$1000 budget for drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
sorry, I know I COULD look into this myself, but I guess I have in the past, and REALLY can't decide.

basically, its time for some new speakers.

I'm looking at spending around $1000 on crossovers, and drivers, I already have a pair of Peerless CSX 8inches (850136) and tweeters (811827)

now, I was thinking about using these in a small bookshelf style box, tuned to 60 or so Hz, with a seperate subwoofer under each bookshelf making them into kinda towers, but seperate boxes. this basically limits me to 50 litres per subwoofer I believe (going by the dimensions I'd like to keep them within)

was thinking Peerless XLS 12inch sub...

see, I don't know :(

I like reasonibly efficient speakers (my current ones WERE stated at 95.2dB)

meh.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
That sounds like a reasonable plan. Stop doubting yourself and get stuck in with some modeling. :D

Go sealed with the mid/hi boxes, and if you can get the 12" down to 30Hz or so also in a sealed box, you should have a nice tight system. If you want to use all the power handling of the XLS's, then you could later add a bigger sub amp and add electronic bass correction.

pinkmouse said:
That sounds like a reasonable plan. Stop doubting yourself and get stuck in with some modeling. :D

Go sealed with the mid/hi boxes, and if you can get the 12" down to 30Hz or so also in a sealed box, you should have a nice tight system. If you want to use all the power handling of the XLS's, then you could later add a bigger sub amp and add electronic bass correction.

I wanted to go ported with the mids so they still had alright bass without the need for the subs (hence the seperate boxes) so they could be reasonably portable, but still have good enough bass. :)

and I don't REALLY like sealed boxes... unless I get the XLS designed for a sealed box, have to look into that :)

thanx :)

EDIT: plus the sub was/is going to be side firing, front ported, so sealed may not be the BEST.

The Peerless XLS woofer is a great place to start. I like the Peerless tweeter.
Why not consider a smaller mid/woofer though.'
I go on about them a lot but the 5.5"HDS Peerless is brilliant. The 6.5"HDS is good too but requires a bigger box (and I mean a wider front baffle here as I tend to use boxes with as narrow a front baffle as possible).
Have fun

madinoz said:
The Peerless XLS woofer is a great place to start. I like the Peerless tweeter.
Why not consider a smaller mid/woofer though.'
I go on about them a lot but the 5.5"HDS Peerless is brilliant. The 6.5"HDS is good too but requires a bigger box (and I mean a wider front baffle here as I tend to use boxes with as narrow a front baffle as possible).
Have fun

well, I already have the 8's and I'm not too sure about crossing a 5.5 or 6.5 inch mid woofer with a 12 inch subwoofer... especially seeing as the woofer is side firing (don't ask about my logic there)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.