TL vs MLTL, pros and cons

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to discuss, pros and cons of this 2 rather simmilar quarter wave concepts. I had in mind plan of building a TL or ML TL sub , and I stuck not knowing which design could be better. I know that mass loading makes a pipe shorter for a same F3, but it produces a steeper rolloff. Classic TL has a smoother rolloff but it requires a larger pipe. Besides this , I cannot see any other differences. Any opinions on this? MJK, planet10, GM, Tim... ?

I didn't explain it before, should do it now. I started this thread, not as a "help me,what to do" , but more like a theoretical discussion where one could find out more. It doesn't not only apply on sub bass, I am curios to find out all disadvantages and advantages of these concepts in various applications. Building sub was just a something that motivated me to think about it. Anyway , space is not an issue in my case, this sub is not going to be build soon due to lack of money, in the meantime I am exploring concepts.
cheers!

Are you sure the MLTL has a steeper rolloff? I think both have a 24db/octave bass rolloff.

But your question is interesting, I'm also curious to know if there's a drawback in this MLTL topology.

since everything is made of tradeoffs. "6dB more of something, half a dozen of dBs less of something else", like KYW said...
If we gain in volume/f3, where do we loose?

Sometime ago, Elektor had a whole month's issue dedicated to various speaker box designs. One of those designs was a Voigt Tapered Line (VTL); it came in two flavours - one, a seven/eight feet tall slender box (no folds) and the second, a folded type - both used 8" drivers and went down to <30Hz; no equalisation was required and the description of the sound quality is what any audiophile would desire.

So if the corner frequency is O.K. ask someone around here to scan the whole article and post it. I have lost that copy of the magazine to be able to help any further. Actually I'll be grateful to have a soft copy myself or buy that particular issue from someone willing to sell it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.