To port or not to port? Newbie with newly built mains

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey, all. I built my own 3 way mains, using dual 10 inch cerwin vegas in the sub chamber (seperate from the tweeter and mid chamber). Unfortunately, I don't know any info on these 10's- Fs, Qtc, etc.. So I'm running a volume of 3.469 cubic feet per box, for dual 10's in each speaker. It sounds pretty good sealed at that cubic volume, but I'm wondering if I could get better lows/ power handling/ etc if I port it. I just haven't been able to find the correct port diameter or length to install, since I don't know any technical speaker info. I also built my own sub, a 12" sub and 120 watt plate amp, so the lows are well accounted for- so is it worth porting the nice boxes I just built? The cutoff on my crossover is 300Hz, but most of that low end (supposedly to 100 Hz per the receiver manual) is channeled to the sub via the receiver, anyway.... Any suggestions, ways to calculate a port, or experiences with similar are appreciated!

Thanks

Have you tryed contacting Cerwin-Vega for the specs for your woofers?
I've never seen any Cerwin that wasn't in a bass Reflex enclosure.

And usually Bass Reflex will give you a lower F3 for the same volume. But it requires more work. The specs are out there, but may be difficult to find if C-V doesn't help you. If you can get them there are quite a few free box calculation software programs available to model your woofers with your present box volume.

If no one else posts links to such programs i will do so in the future.

Good luck!

Also I would like to add... you are the final word on what sounds good to you. You may find tuning a BR a PITA, and choose to keep the speaker the way they are (since you have a sub).

Is the sub ported? I've heard that it isn't a good idea to mix AS with BR within the same frequency range (but could be wrong - wouldn't be the first time).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.