Wood Cone driver

JVC made a small driver with a wood cone (birch).

I saw this in a magazine a few months back, it's interesting to say the least.

JVC WOOD CONE DRIVER

Attachments

• woodcone.jpg
    woodcone.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 488
cross grained veneirs rolled into a cone ... maybe? different woods for different sounds hhmmm.
I once had a set of speakers, manufactured in Maryland USA, that had aluminum cones (long be for anybode thought to use metal) and wooden baskets. the evalution to wood baskets greatly reduced stray resonences and overall the three way sounded really great. the were called EZEKIELS

I dont see the point, paper cones after alll are wood, just mulched up and tailored with glues etc to make the properties exactly how the manufacturer wants them to be. Thus creating to best material (that paper can become) for the loudspeaker cone.

Why go to all the bother of a wood cone when paper ones clearly have more advantages. If a solid wood cone was that much better it would have been done YEARS ago.

I just read the website thingy. If what they are saying is correct about sound travelling faster with the grain then against it. How do they get consistancy between the cones....

Each bit of wood would be different, thus having different grain patterns, thus altering the performance and most probably frequency response of the driver.

Smells fishy to me.

I'm really not looking forward to some of the more effete magazine reviews should this type of thing get any traction. All sort of cracked-pot nuace ascribed to - how many varieties of wood are there out there? Not to mention which favorite beverage you might decide to soak it in. Here's the nightmarish opportunity to marry some the most ridiculous observations ever wrought into prose - the wine tasting - with what must be a close second - the high end loudspeaker audition.