SCAN-SPEAK R2904/700000 vs. D2905/990000 tweeters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I cannot comment on the 70 series because I have not used them. The 97 and the 99 are the same tweeter but with different faceplates. The 97 is a very nice sounding tweeter, smooth, dynamic with great resolution. Recommended where ever you want to use a tweeter and have some money to spend.

But from the specifications the 93/95/97/99 range all have 0.4 mm of xmax. The 70/71 range only have half this at 0.2mm.

I dont know how the new tweets sound but they should be rather good, I would expect better then the old range. If that were the case then id use the 70/71 in a situation where the crossover is away from then 2khz mark and closer to 3.

The 93+ range can handle low xovers easily because they have low resonance and high excursion. But because the newer tweets have less xmax available they wont be able to cross as low.

Therefore Id recommend the older models to 2 ways which may require a lower xover point. Then the newer tweets for 3 ways where a 5" or smaller mid can be selected for a higher xover point.

Ofcourse if you are using a woofer in the two way which can cross over higher then use the newer models.

m0tion said:
In what way does xmax relate to crossover point? Whats the lowest reasonable frequency for a tweeter with a 2.5mm xmax?

Assuming a tweeter has 2.5 mm of xmax, and it's linear- the lowest crossover is a function of the tweeter's radiating area and desired SPL.

Here's a link- http://www.linkwitzlab.com/thor-design.htm

there is an excel spreadsheet there for calculating max SPL for a given excursion and Sd.

Incidentally- what type of tweeter is that? 2.5mm seems like a lot, and to get that sort of excursion in tweeter territory would take a lot of power.

Joe

I think 1 of the main advantage of 700k is it's efficiency .
It's 94db/2.83v efficiency is very helpful when u wanna
use a MTM setup with 88db+/2.83v woofers.
At the meanwhile , u can also consider 710k tweeter which has
the same efficiency as 700k ,but a soft dome might create softer sound that can fit into most systems easily.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Have not hear either tweeter.

YOu can see the frequency responses, and the pictures of the tweeters themselves, at:
www.peerless.dk Click "Enter a world of speakers"

I can mkde a few observations though.

First, the 2904 is 4 ohms, the 2905 is 6 ohms. The 2905 would therefore be amenable to working with 8 ohm drivers, though the 2904 can be made to work with them too.

The design of the 2904 looks radical, the phase plug on top makes it look like some kid glued a miniature chess pawn onto the tweeter dome when his parents weren't looking.

More seriously, the high frequency dispersion of the 2905 is MUCH superior. With the 2905, the 30° off axis measurement stays within 3 dB up to 15, 000 Hz before diverging quickly from the on axis measurement. With the 2904, the 30º measurement is already 8 dB down from the on-axis measurement, and sinking fast.

Since one of the important criteria for a tweeter is good dispersion, I would definitely be inclined toward the 2905.

Joined 2001
Compare for yourself. Here is the 2905/9900000. 30° off axis response stays within 3 dB of the on-axis response all the way up to 15,000, before going down quickly.

Attachments

• scan speak 2905-990000 fr.gif
    scan speak 2905-990000 fr.gif
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,183
Quite a few tweeters have reduced top octave dispersion. I am not sure whether this is part of the design goal or whether it is consequence of optimising for other parameters.

The ring-radiators, including Vifa's XT25TG (which by the way, has very good linear and non-linear performance) all have this so-called 'controlled-drectivity'

If you can tolerate it, it may be make for a good option. It may even be an advantage, depending on how you look at it.

Joined 2001
Pan:

I agree, but as the 2904 proves, even tweeters with similar diameter can have different dispersions. Of course, I am sure that phase plug makes the difference..

That is why there is a trend toward 3/4 inch and even 1/2 inch tweeters-so that better dispersion can be achieved in the highest octaves.

Thank you very much for the answers.

I am indeed considering the 2905/9900000 for the following reasons:

- Impedance compatibility with my setup.
- The extra dB of the 2905/700000 is not an advantage because I am attenuating current tweeters to equalize to the rest of the drivers.
- Better linearity and dispersion, as you've mentioned.
- Altough not cheap, it is much cheaper than the 2905/700000.
- I've heard the 2905/9900000 on Living Voice Avatar OBX-R2, top of the line from Living voice Avatar series, with external crossover, and it was superb. (never heard the 2904).

I am currently using the beyma T-2030 (95dB!). Not bad, but I am looking for more top extension. You can see the full specs here:

http://profesional.beyma.com/pdf/descarga.php?pdf=T2030E.pdf

The reason I don't want to make broad sweeping generalisations is that the answer is not as simple as just radiating surface area, as kelticwizard alluded to.

Some tweeters has dispersion previously unseen in for their size eg. Vifa DX25TG. From my interpretations eg. of linear and non-linear distortion analysis by Mark K, Hobby Hi-fi etc, other parameters may not be as good.

AFAIK there's yet to be a "best" tweeter in terms of best low distortion, low crossover point, high power handling AND high dispersion. Picking one suitable for your design is picking compromises that you're willing to live with.

On all accounts the Vifa XT25TG Ring radiator is a very good tweeter and excellent value for money, providing you cross higher (than the low Fs would suggest) and can live or prefer reduced dispersion.

I couldn't afford the AU$500 ScanSpeak Ring Radiator but suspect it is a souped up version of the Vifa.

Back to the original question, I think there are more variables to consider than just 2 or 3 ways alone. Manufacturer specs indicate that both are likely capable of 2nd order electrical crossovers ~2.5Khz Khz crossover points, but the 7000 has the 3dB extra sensitivity and reduced dispersion.

Don't forget baffle step compensation. With 91dB/W of the 9900 is still plenty for a pair of high (90dB/W) sensitvity midwoofers.

Adding more confusion- have you considered the D2904/7100-00

Also depending on how you like your music the 97 might be a better choice too.

Some say the 99 is the hotter version, ie its got more high frequency energy (raised treble response). However the 97 doesnt suffer form this anywhere near as much.

Remember they are the same tweeter, just different cosmetics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.