Suppliers in southern Ontario?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
the only place I know of in Ontario is Q-components in Waterloo. Unfortunately, they seem to have little interest in 'hifi' stuff. They do carry Audax, but I've heard that Audax is leaving the DIY market, and I wouldn't be surprised if they didnt replace it with anything. They do have lots of pro audio stuff, and pioneer, phillips, goldwood type drivers.

The reason I say they won't replace Audax with something like a Seas or D-S-T line, is because I was once in the store and asked them if they would ever consider carrying those lines, and the front desk person looked at me like I was from another planet. I also asked for the Xmax on some of their 12" drivers, and enquired as to why they don't publish Xmax in any of their specs. They told me it was irrelevant :bigeyes: . That was about 5 years ago, since then I see they have added Xmax figures to many of the woofers in their catalog, guess it wasn't irrelevant afterall :D

Don't forget Frank Sabian's shop, out in JamaciaTown area. The Canadian Loudspeaker Corp, (The Speaker Shop? Used to be 15xx Eglington, and is now just around the corner in the same area. Terrible hours! Hard to reach when they are open, unless you play hookey from work) or something like that, is the company. He's managed to come up with some very interesting knockoffs and other such drivers. Like Indian made Dynaudio-like knock-offs.

As and example, he came up with this TRIPLE magnet dual layered cone, phase plugged, Cast basket, OPEN basket, Kapton Former, 5.5" midbass that has a tremendous throw and fabulous specs. Cheap-*** too. Looks like a Audax/Focal out front and unlike anything else out the back. Might only be double magnet but still a great driver. Can't quite remember. Aluminum cone and sandwiched with a carbon/plastic mix of some sort. Good flare on the cone for resonanace/flex control...and also for matching with the aluminum machined phase plug. I have few lying about..but..I'd have to dig pretty deep to find them. I believe the resonance was a low 29hz or the like. They we like $75cdn when I bought them. Lotsa power handling too. Long coil, lotsa throw.

Q Components also carries Eminence products. Is that considered to be a low-quality line to you guys?

Their site (loudspeakers.ca) shows a handful of manufacturers which look mostly like OEM manufacturers.

What do you all think about the majority of the other products they carry? They're only about 10 mins away from my home, so I might be able to actually score some good product locally rather than paying all that cash on shipping...

Any commentary would be appreciated. I'm all about finding the highest quality at the lowest cost.

Chris

Check out FuzzMeasure for OSX - http://www.fuzzmeasure.com

The two primary shops for me are Solen and Q-Components.

Q-Components is primarily a pro-audio component shop. Unfortunately they do not carry JBLPro. They do however carry the full line of Eminence components which can be used to build very high quality home-use speakers. On the high end, the Magnum series is pretty close to JBL pro drivers, while the lower Delta series gives a lot of bang for the buck. I current use speakers built from their Delta and Alpha series, based on PiSpeaker designs. Their entire catelogue can be downloaded at their site. Very fast delivery (in the GTA) and very good pricing for speaker related hardwares (terminal cups, binding posts, etc). Crossover components aren't the best quality though.

Solen's the place to go for "Hi-Fi" components. They carry the typical Seas, Scanspeak, Vifa, Fostex, etc. Of course, they also carry high quality crossover components at very reasonable prices.

Audio Hardware Inc's been in business forever and will order and sell components for you. If you need Solen coils or caps immediately and are willing to pay the markup, they're the place to go. I get the feeling that they buy their stuff from Solen and Q-Components anyway, so it's a lot cheaper to just go direct, if you're able to wait a few days for delivery.

Gar.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.