Dayton Reference Open Baffle Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
maybe not entirely open baffle...or would that just suck?

well...seeing as i don't want to spend a bunch of cash on and experimant...maybe i could just do a sealed or ported design for the 10"ers? i was thinking of making it with an easily removable section for the mid and tweeter so i could experiment...and have a removable baffle for the woofer(s) as well...

i'm not afraid of taking on a big project...i have a fairly good knowledge of electronics and the like and i'm young enough that its still pretty easy for me to pick up on things...

but maybe for simplicity and cost effectiveness should i just get the 7 or 8 inch reference woofers and a nice (but not too expensive ;) ) tweeter and build an nice 2 way? maybe (haven't looked at any specs yet) the dayton ribbon tweeter?

i'm probobly one of the youngest people here...15 (i hate most of the music my peers listen to)...might want to keep that in mind when suggesting components ;) but don't let that hold you back and just suggest crap either, i really want to get good at this and would like a good reference system...my poor ears have been plauged by poopy tv speakers for years...i think its about time i start treating the poor things right

i just have a huge fascination with all things electronics:D

:cool:

after a bit of looking around it would appear that the dayton 6" reference woofer would work MUCH better with the dayton silk dome tweeter... the 6" reference tweeter extends out a little higher and doesn't start to breakup quire as early as the 7"...

perhaps before undertaking a 3 way i should try and get a really well made 2 way? then maybe "recycle" the drivers in an open baffle project...:cool: its not cheap, its "thrifty":angel:

I think that a boxed MTM with the 6" drivers could be a very rewarding project- but fine tuning the crossover will be a major part in getting it just right (you said you like electronics, right? ;) )

You could go closed box or ported, and later you could re-use the parts in an open baffle... but for now a pair of MTM with a sealed sub could provide a lot of good music. I want to go for a

What I can't stress enough, though, is that I've read all over the place that the Dayton RS drivers are in the $100+ class, and a cheap tweeter just won't do them justice. I don't have any experience with the dayton silk dome tweeter; but I think that you should at least consider spending up to $30 on a tweeter. My last project used the Morel MDT20, and I was fairly impressed by the quality. I've heard better, but it was enough to let me know that a good tweeter can make all the difference.

Anyhow- good luck, search the forum for tweeter info, and remember to post when you've built something! :)

Joe

RS150 + Seas or Morel, boxed MTM... sounds awfully familiar. :)

sounds darned good too! Really good. Still tweaking crossover. I want to do a TL box for these now.

Also have plans in the works for WWMT (or WWMTM) using a pair of the 8 or 10 inch RS drivers. And others... ;)

C

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.