Design and connection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm probably going to build a set of speakers in the near future and wanted some advice.

First. I was wondering how connecting two drivers in series would effect the total sound of a speaker. I ask this because I was thinking of building a set of speakers with two 6.5" or 8" woofers. I haven't decided whether to use an MTM design or just stack them (TMM). The amp I will have to use for the next while is an old Technics integrated amp, which has an impedance rating of 8-16ohms. This is why I want know what the series connection will do, since I can't run a 4 ohm speaker.

Second. My other choice for speakers is to make a three way design. I would use a 1" dome for highs, a 6.5" for mids, and a 10" or 12" for lows. I was thinking of using a side fireing woofer design, but am worried about the "boomyness" of the side firing woofer, if set too close to a wall. Would it be better to use a front firing design?; or just seperate them into two bookshelves and two subwoofers. I can run the amplifier in 4 channels so I could run two bookshelves and two subwoofers, if I wanted to.

I don't have too much money to spend, and since I live in Nova Scotia I'll have to order the speakers from the US. So I will probably use Madisound or Pioneer drivers, because of their price. Any help would be greatly appricated.

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy Hopkins

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.