MTM - How to measure in room response?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I apologise if this has been answered else ware, although I have done some searching and couldn't find the information I am after.

I would like to measure the in-room response of a MTM speaker, using either ETF5 or TrueRTA software. I have a non calibrated Behringer ECM8000 mic and was wondering how to go about doing the measurement.

1: do I line the mic up with the tweeter?

2: do I measure at 1M or 2M?

Assuming that you are interested in the response you are getting in your listening position, why not put the mic where your ears would be?

Measuring at 1 or 2m in room seems meaningless to me unless you listen there.

Unless I have misunderstood and you wish to measure the response of the speakers alone.

Are you thinking of using fullrange eq?

Thanks for the replies.

Basically I want to check the response of the drivers and xover for anomalies in the freq rang. I realise this should preferably be done outside using ground plane, but in this instance it is not possible.

I am thinking of getting a set of these speakers, and although the listening test are very positive, I just want to run some sweeps to check the overall response.

paulspencer said:
If I'm not mistaken, I believe this is conventionally done at tweeter level at a distance of 0.5m and normalised to 1m. Do you have the means to gate the response?

Yes I do.

What do you hope to find out with your measuring?

I want to have a visual response of the speakers & xover to see if any anomalies show up in the freq range.

What are the speakers you are looking at?

This is a Photo of the ones I have been listening to, so probably based on them.

paulspencer said:
Looks like Acoustic Concepts enclosures, am I right? How much do they go for?

Yes you are correct Paul...

Don't know any prices yet as I am just doing some evaluations at this point in time, via the owner of these speakers.

Not even sure if I am going to upgrade at this point in time, just checking out the product scene.

You never know I may just see & hear some speakers one day and lay my credit card down :D

Richard,

I haven't seen those seas drivers used much at all, but they do look interesting. I would expect them to be lower resolution but more forgiving, perhaps a little more romantic in sound. I'm not sold on the idea of metal cone drivers for a speaker that plays a wide range of material including music and HT as well as different types of music. I find metal cones excel only on well recorded material. They can sound crap with rock music in my experience.

On a recent trip to Adelaide I heard Vaf signature speakers with Seas Excel drivers - stunning with "audiophile" music like the kind that we played last time, but switch to rock and they sounded terrible!

Thanks for the info Paul.

Something I will need to listen for in my evaluations.

BTW I played those audio tracks that we used and these speakers do sound very nice, great imaging and no hint of fatigue after an hour of listening. Those two tracks from your fantastic cd were just….. Brilliant!!!! The other thing this setup in being driven via Rotel pre/pro and power amps, so the set up is kind of similar to mine.

The trouble is Paul, you and Rod have got me back into 2ch more & more, and I can feel my credit card starting to cringe… BTW this all started from that day at your place, so I guess you are more to blame. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.