Old Scan-Speak tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have 4 of the old Scan-Speak 18W/8544's that I'd like to use in a kit that was designed by Joe D'Appolito, the Model 717s.

The tweeter that was originally used was the D-29, now no longer in production I am told.

I'm also told that the nearest thing to it and possibly a drop in replacement is the D2905/9300.

If anyone has the specs for the D-29 so I could compare them, I'd appreciate it very much.

Has anyonne here ever built this kit?
Comments on it's performance................

Thanks in advancefor any help.

Arthur

Specs

Hi Arthur...

If you mean the SS D2905/9000 ( the forerunner of the 9300) I have a couple of these tweeters and a bad copy of their specs on paper...

I've used these tweeters in this design intended for the 9300, wich worked fine btw. http://www.speakerbuilding.com/content/1021/

I've never heard the 9300 but compared to the 9500, 9700 and 9900 it lacks some detail and top end extension. I will scan the specs and email them to you during next week if you want to. :)

One pequliar thing about them is that the dome is sticky and a LOT of dust get caught...:xeye:

Jonas

I've built the exact speaker you are thinking about! I love them. I used two 18w8544 and the D9500 tweeter in the MTM configuration. Make sure you include baffle step compensation in your crossover or it will be overly forward sounding. I'll post the pictures later when I get home.

f you mean the SS D2905/9000 ( the forerunner of the 9300) I have a couple of these tweeters and a bad copy of their specs on paper...

I've used these tweeters in this design intended for the 9300, wich worked fine btw. http://www.speakerbuilding.com/content/1021/

I've never heard the 9300 but compared to the 9500, 9700 and 9900 it lacks some detail and top end extension. I will scan the specs and email them to you during next week if you want to.

One pequliar thing about them is that the dome is sticky and a LOT of dust get caught...

Jonas

I thought the sticky stuff was something particular to all their tweeters.

Yes, I would very much appreciate the specs if you can send them.

Thanks.

I've built the exact speaker you are thinking about! I love them. I used two 18w8544 and the D9500 tweeter in the MTM configuration. Make sure you include baffle step compensation in your crossover or it will be overly forward sounding. I'll post the pictures later when I get home.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The speakers I'm planning were sold by the old A&S Speakers up in Northern Claifornia. and were sold as a kit. The only designation in the schematic is D-29 for the tweeter.

The whole thing was desinged by Joe D'Appolito and operates as an 8 ohm load. External dimensions are 9.5 inches wide x 22inches high x 13 inces deep with a 7.5 inch long x 1.25 inch slot port.

In looking over the other paperwork I find the designation of the Tweeter was D2905.

Currently I'm using the 18w/8544's in a standard 2 way with a Focal tweeter crossed at 3kHz. I like the idea of the lower xover point of 2200 in the 717s.

I believe the tweeters in the Signature 717 are the xxxx-9200.
The -9300 version is, as I understand it, essentially the same
tweeter but with a non-stick coating on the dome. I believe
that Madisound's catalog once mentioned that they'd replace
the moving portions of a dead -9200 with the -9300 part.

So, I think for the 717 system that the two tweeters can
be considered interchangeable. I'd be somewhat careful
about using the newer, fancier S-S tweeters mentioned
above as they are not exactly the same in sensitivity and
roll-off.

I have a pair of these systems that I bought and they are
very nice but have very little bass. Everything checks out
dimensionally, but I think that maybe I overstuffed them.
It was never clear from the rather skimpy information that
A&S Loudspeakers generated exactly how much stuffing
one should use.

I should really get off my duff and un-stuff.

I believe the tweeters in the Signature 717 are the xxxx-9200.
The -9300 version is, as I understand it, essentially the same
tweeter but with a non-stick coating on the dome. I believe
that Madisound's catalog once mentioned that they'd replace
the moving portions of a dead -9200 with the -9300 part.

So, I think for the 717 system that the two tweeters can
be considered interchangeable. I'd be somewhat careful
about using the newer, fancier S-S tweeters mentioned
above as they are not exactly the same in sensitivity and
roll-off.

I have a pair of these systems that I bought and they are
very nice but have very little bass. Everything checks out
dimensionally, but I think that maybe I overstuffed them.
It was never clear from the rather skimpy information that
A&S Loudspeakers generated exactly how much stuffing
one should use.

The kit from A&S contained 1.5 Lb. of long hair wool, although I would never use the stuff since moths like it and Acousta-stuff or regular old polyester pillow stuffing works just as well.

As to bass I'm not worried my sub will take over very nicely for bass augmentation. Like all speaker builders, Im chasing that airy soundstage that I think will be improved witht he new tweeter and more suitable xover.

Not to worry, I would not use anything that didn't match in sensitivty unless I redisigned the xover, which is more than I want to tackle these days.

markp said:

Mark,

I'm interested in building the same speakers that you built only using 18W8545-00. Would you post box dementions and xo's? Did you do a sealed design?

Thanks

Arthur,

Any idea on how much Acousti-stuff is equiivalant to a certain
amount of wool? I actually tossed my wool before using and
bought Acousti-stuff. Same reason as you

The same weight of Acoustistuff gave me a huge
pile. I couldn't begin to stuff it all into my 717's,
but I still think I overstuffed.

JamesE said:

Mark,

I'm interested in building the same speakers that you built only using 18W8545-00. Would you post box dementions and xo's? Did you do a sealed design?

Thanks
The 8545 is very different than the 8544 in almost all specs so it wont be of any help. BTW, it was a ported design with 18 liters per woofer crossed over at 500 and 2.5k. My box is tall and thin but octagonal in shape.

Arthur,

Any idea on how much Acousti-stuff is equiivalant to a certain
amount of wool? I actually tossed my wool before using and
bought Acousti-stuff. Same reason as you

The same weight of Acoustistuff gave me a huge
pile. I couldn't begin to stuff it all into my 717's,
but I still think I overstuffed.

Sorry, I've never used it, I just use Pillow stuffing and tease it out.
Is it ACI that makes Acousta-Stuff? Whoever it would I think be able to give you some idea on that.

For this project I'm not going to stuff them at all and I am still thinking about not including the port. I found that my own ported speakers meshed better with my subwoofer after I plugged them. It got rid of a very pronounced 50 Hz bump.

YMMV

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.