Help with build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My mrs left pinched the stereo (lol) I have purchased an amp.

Now i have two 2 2way speakers small box design with 6 inch main drivers. I was wondering if i made a new housing could i add more depth to there sound?

I was thinking of pulling the facias's off and putting them straight into a taller housing. The port is part of he facias too should i bloke the end and insert a new one?

Here the general idea;

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Also in future i could upgrade, to a good 6' driver any ideas which and where from?

Without specs on the drivers or measuring equipment it will be a total shot in the dark whether the speaker will sound any better in a new box. If you don't like the way they sound now chances are you will be disapointed after all your time and effort of building a new box. If you have the woodworking tools some $$ to spend on drivers and crossovers its best to find a reputable existing design. I don't know your budget or what is available in your area or I would suggest some designs.

Im very good at woodwork, my dad has a workshop so im ok there. I could by some drivers, but where from (UK) Ive looked around but can only find maplin. I wanna make some rather than buy because im bored lol.

Id like a couple of 6 inch bass drivers 1 mid and 1 tweeter. The placement and dimensions of a port is gonna be difficult. I want rectangular housings.

Again I think you should stick with an existing design from a well respected DIY speaker designer unless you have experience designing crossovers (and all the software and measuring equip. needed)

Looks like this place would have all the parts you would need:
http://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/

As for a design there are many out there to suit almost every performance and price goal. Here is one design from Dennis Murphy that seems to be in the range you are looking for.
Vifa Tower
Tower standing 2-way, full range (plays down to 32Hz). The vifa drivers it uses are available at wilmslow and are very good in terms of price/performance. Dennis is one of the most well respected and thorough designers out there. I haven't heard this particular design but I have built some of his other designs and they are exceptionally good.

BillFitzmaurice said:
If you don't really know what your doing you might want to consider a kit, at least all the parts will be the right ones.
Daniel, get a kit. Or you have a lot of reading to do before making something decent - this forum is great place to start.

An enclosure is based around the drivers not the other way around, so picking a visual idea to begin with doesn't mean much. When you knocked up that enclosure did you base it on a calculated volume/dimensions? And how about the crossover?

No i never because i knew the driver wasnt meant for such a large box, was a stab in the dark.

I'll find a 10 inch sub get the volume of the box correct, and do some reading. i know the basics on sound, but where to place ports and what crossovers to use im lost.

I aint copying another design i want to do it myself. Trial and error if it comes down to it lol.

Anyone one sent me in the right direction for reading up on crossovers.

These were my first tower's that i made.. I still miss them and i did like them alot...

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 47
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.