Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Daline with Vifa
Daline with Vifa
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2004, 02:06 PM   #1
patstevens is offline patstevens  Spain
diyAudio Member

Default Daline with Vifa

I have recently retired and moved to Spain. My present LS ate Webb TLīs which were made about 4 years ago. Our house in Spain is smaller (the SAF is not high for large TL) and I would like to have a decent DD 5.1 system - with emphasis on CDīs etc.
I love the daline for its quality bass response (especially with the KEF 139!!!); it would seem that a Vifa PW17 is a good place to start for the main driver in a smaller design. I would also like to keep the same īsoundīin the smaller speakers by using either more PW17 or a very similar sounding smaller Vifa driver in a smaller cabinet - another TL would be fine.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction for any of these DIY versions? Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Pat Stevens
Old 10th October 2004, 04:35 PM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

What's your performance goals, i.e. average SPL/listening distance, XO point to the LFE, power available, etc.?

Anyway, if by PW17 you mean the P17WJ-00-08, then based on some measured specs of several units, Qts, Vas is a way too high/low for a proper Daline alignment.

They are real close to a T/S max flat ML-TL natural cab alignment (Vb = Vas, Fb = Fs) though: 30.22" long with a CSA of 46.017", driver 11.5" down from the top and 2.5" dia. x 4.5" long vent near the bottom, ergo close to ideal for an HT's LFE's 80Hz XO. All dims are inside (i.d.) with minimal stuffing to suit and 19mm Baltic Birch or equal (min) construction recommended.

GM
Old 15th October 2004, 08:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply. I will have to do some work on what the parameters mean. From what you say I may have to be content with a simple TL. Back to the drawing board!!

Thanks again

Pat Stevens
Old 15th October 2004, 10:30 PM   #4
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

Daline with Vifa
take a look:
http://www.tech-diy.com/LS_Articles.htm
Old 18th October 2004, 06:26 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thabks

Will look at and consider

Pat Stevens
Old 20th October 2004, 06:58 AM   #6
paulspencer is offline paulspencer  Australia
diyAudio Member

You could use the P13 for your surround speakers as it works nicely for smaller boxes, although there is significantly less bass to speak of. Or you could use the P13 all around if you only want the bass to get down to 80 Hz and then cross to a sub. The midrange is a bit more tame.
Old 2nd November 2004, 08:50 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Thank you for all your replies and help.

I do like the idea of having all the speakers with the same driver. Having thought about it, I am considering a pair of ME2 then small ported rear/centre speakers - but all with the same drivers.

Thanks again

Pat Stevens
Old 2nd November 2004, 11:50 PM   #8
Dave Jones is offline Dave Jones  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paulspencer
You could use the P13 for your surround speakers as it works nicely for smaller boxes, although there is significantly less bass to speak of. Or you could use the P13 all around if you only want the bass to get down to 80 Hz and then cross to a sub. The midrange is a bit more tame.
The P13 won't go that low in a sealed box. Based on limited experience, I have reservations about using a ported system and a sub.
Old 3rd November 2004, 12:15 AM   #9
Dave Jones is offline Dave Jones  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patstevens
Hi,

Many thanks for your reply. I will have to do some work on what the parameters mean. From what you say I may have to be content with a simple TL. Back to the drawing board!!

Thanks again

Pat Stevens
The MLTL is not a "simple TL". It's a tall and skinny ported system that has some of the characteristics of a "vented" system and some of the characteristics of a TL.

Concerning the T/S parameters...

Fs is the fundamental resonance frequency of the speaker in free air. Other things being equal (which they never are :-)), low Fs is a good thing in woofers and mid/bass drivers.

Vas is a measure of acoustic compliance. It is the size of a sealed box that would raise the fundamental resonant frequency of the system to sqrt(2)*Fs. Other things being equal, you have to put high Vas speakers in large boxes and low Vas speakers in small boxes.

Qts is a measure of how resonant the speaker is. High Qts speakers are more resonant (less damped) than low Qts speakers. Other things being equal, high Qts speakers have to go in larger boxes, else they become too resonant ("boomy").
Old 3rd November 2004, 12:34 AM   #10
madinoz is offline madinoz  Australia
diyAudio Member

At the risk of offending.
My experience with the P17-wj hasn't been a positive one.
I thought the bass was very "tubby" (not tubey!).
I don't know if anyone else would share this point of view or whether it's just me.
I have have good experiences with the Peerless HDS range and would recommend these as they have a multi-layer poly/foam construction making them stiffer than the P17. Okay, so they aren't high end but then again they are around the same price as the P17's and sound far better (to my ears).
Could be used in a small sealed box if mated to a subwoofer.
I would suggest that the voicing between the 5.5 inch and the 6.5 inch units would be similar (anyone out there used both???)
The 5.5 inch units have a nice midrange but would have no bass in a sealed box.

Daline with VifaHide this!Advertise here!