IN PROGRESS: Infinity Kappa clones....buyout drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I finally got situated enough in the new house to setup shop....so I thought I'd break in the sheetrock with a new project.

Since it was my first time to use the router/table that I've had sitting dormant for ~6 months, and I had several of the Infinity buyout speakers, I thought I'd pay homage to Infinity.

So I decided to do a 90's Kappa type clone. It will be a TMWWW configuration (most likely) consisting of a Dayton Silky, the 4.5" midrange buyout, and 7" woofer buyout. I'm most likely going to go active on the woofers, although I'm still a little stuck on the final mode of amplification. I would like to use a linkwitz transform to get down to about 40Hz on these puppies (internal volume will only be about 2CuFt max...). Since there are 3 drivers the Ohms are kinda wierd I can either amplify each one individually (8 ohms....gainclones) or amplify all with one <plate>amp in series/parrellel (12 ohms) or all parrellel (~3 ohms). Or I could just do 4 drivers for a 8 Ohm load, but then I'll have a woofer almost on the ground, since the cabs are only 40" tall, although I could make a small stand for them.

Anyways heres a reference picture of the Kappa 80's, and I attached a "so far" picture of mine....

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Attachments

• kappa_ripoffs.jpg
    kappa_ripoffs.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 221
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.