enclosure size too big?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What will happen if you use an enclosure that is too big for a sub? I have a 12" subwoofer that I want to use in my home. It is fitted into a sealed box of more that 2.5cuFt.

How will I know whether I need to add some stuff into the box to decrease the volume. Also, what material is best to place inside the box? I do not have TS parameters for the sub.

It's difficult to say without knowing more about the driver. In general, increasing the box size results in the driver rolling off sooner but shallower. If the enclosure is far, far too big it will start to act like an infinite baffle. If the driver doesn't have the ability to handle this it will suffer decreased power handling, potentially bottom out and lose a great deal of it's output. Go ahead and try it, might be ok. If you want to decrease interior volume you'll need a dense material (wood, rocks, etc.).

Timn8ter said:
It's difficult to say without knowing more about the driver. In general, increasing the box size results in the driver rolling off sooner but shallower. If the enclosure is far, far too big it will start to act like an infinite baffle. If the driver doesn't have the ability to handle this it will suffer decreased power handling, potentially bottom out and lose a great deal of it's output. Go ahead and try it, might be ok. If you want to decrease interior volume you'll need a dense material (wood, rocks, etc.).
How does a driver lose a great deal of its output when used in an infinite baffle?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.