Horrible crossover attempt.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Got this in today, hooked it up and understood immediately why it came in. :D
Bass speakers are slightly playing, tweeters are much too pronounced
Attached a drawing of the reconstruction of what I found. Second tweeter isn’t connected.
Any ideas how to make this “thing” sound more or less correct?

/Hugo

Attachments

• mvc-135f.jpg
    mvc-135f.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 264
You have a 15mfd in series with the woofer, cutting out all the bass. If anything is supposed to be in series with the woofer, it would be a coil.

Other than that, we don't know what it's supposed to be so it's hard to tell. Light bulbs in series with the tweeter are long out of fashion.

xover

Looks like the coil is there and attached to the board. Check under the board and see if the lead from the W input + goes directly to the coil.

The whizzered woofers (wideband) are probably crossed up high to the twin tweeter, like 4 or 5K Hz, possibly higher.

The light bulb is pretty bizarre. I'd scrap that and used fixed resistors. They probably used two tweeters to match impedence with the woofers, unless they were of unusually low sensitivity.
If all the drivers are 8 ohm, the parallel units, low and high, each form a 4 ohm circuit.
Just one tweeter is 8 ohm, like the drawing, but why mount both then not use it?
One blown?

Why not use some jumpers and bypass the xover boards on the woofers and see what they sound like without anything in the circuit. This will not hurt them so long as excursion is kept down. BTW, you won't develop any bass without sealing them back into the box.

The tweeters will need at least one of the caps in series for protection, and probably the resistor to pad them down.

Tim

Strange design

Agree. Too many problems, too little time, eh?

Stood on end with one tweeter working, they might be OK. Not so sure with both whizzers going what the outcome might be, but you could de-whizzer one woofer if the comb effects are noticeable.

Looks like a home-built PA cab or something.

Tim

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Swedish Chef said:
The tweeters seem to be Beyma CP16:s. IIRC they have a sensitivity of 105 dB but you could look it up on the Beyma site.

/Magnus
Correct,
I tried to find out what woofers are in there but the only reference # on the magnet is PF-81HC which gave me 0 hits in google.
Next thing I will try is simply put the coil in series with both woofers and some (?) capacity in series with the CP16.
http://profesional.beyma.com/ENGLISH/pdf/descarga.php?pdf=CP16.pdf says the recommended crossover is 6Khz so what capacitance should I look for? Hoping the woofer will reach 6Khz.
Also I'll have to match them with the less sensitive woofers.

/Hugo - speaker newbie ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.