Help... old foam surround

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey,.. somebody knows how can I get original foam surround for a pair of Dynaudio 21W54-8 ???

I have 4 of them, 2 each channel in parallel config. and one of them with old surround simply dissolved. I already removed and cleaned old stuff, but I need the new one. To maintain caracteristics, I think I will do it on both woofers as they are in same volume vented box.

Anyone?

thanks in advance.

:bawling:

anyway, as I didn't got any suggest... I have to say I got the original foam surrounds!
:scratch2:

there is a store in Australia and other in Florida USA. They have the original foam used at factory. I did ordered both, so I will tell you if that's really true or not.

I will come back as soon as the kits arrive here.

Regards.
:cool:

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Wow! Sorry we missed your first post.

You did better than what I was going to recommend, which was the surrounds from Parts Express. Getting the original factory ones is even better though.

If this works out, could you post the places which have these surrounds? For many years, Dynaudio was considered the best DIY brand out there, and many people who bought them 10 or 12 years ago are probably experiencing deteriorating surrounds right now.

As soon as they arrive...

I could tell the places but I will not do any blind recomendation, I think it is a serious matter.

Anyway it will be here within a week and I will perform the "surround surgery" as the driver is ready to receive the new foam.
I intend to post some pictures also...
:eek:

till there!:cool:

Hisatugo

Ok... I received the foam surrounds and did the surgery.
Here my points:

1) Speakerbits at Australia offered a specific instruction manual, very detailed, easy to follow. Kit included 2 rings, shim strip (polietylen? or something) and glue (PVA).

2) Simplyspeakers sent a kit with same content, rings are same quality, little diference in color and microporous, glue is other type, epoxi one.

I compared instructions and realized Australian one to be the most confident way. Used PVA glue also, as water could clean up and mess would not be a problem. Someone could point to me the problems with PVA??

After 36h, glue seems ok, and result is very good. I can't tell any diference between old (refoamed) and original drivers. Tested with 20Hz sine wave, and nothing cracks or scratch inside, with a 7mm of excursion up and 7mm down.

I think both stores can offer good products but found Speakerbits more confident on instructions and result.

http://www.speakerbits.com

http://www.simplyspeakers.com

Any comments or questions, please e-mail me.

Regards,
Euclides.

Attachments

• dscf0121.jpg
    dscf0121.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 131
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.