Cabinet varnish suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just completed the veneering of my Proac 2.5 clones with birch. The next step is to apply varnish. I must admit, I am pretty far from being an expert in paint jobs hence this thread. I would like to know: what type of varnish is best suitable for speakers (brand, finish, etc), what type of paint brush to use, is air brush recommended, special techniques for varnish application.
I am fairly proud of the result so far and I need help to keep the pride at the same level after the varnishing phase.

I recommend watco

I have tried a number of other finishing products with varying levels of success but for my money, Watco danish oil is great. I typically use oak and follow a fairly intense process, described at steves shop'o'sawdust but, be warned, you need to do a lot of sanding! No special tools required, just some rags and waterproof sandpaper. If you do it right, it gives amazing results.

One thing you should be aware of is that birch can finish up with some "blotchiness". For this reason you might want to select a natural finish rather than one of the darker tones.

I definitely don't recommend varnish. If you want a shiny surface, use wax.

/Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.