Karlson Enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In an old magazine of about 70's, an Argentine audio enthusiast and engineer called Julio Rueda, suggested to add more "stereo sensation" wiring a 3rd speaker between the two lives wires of the two main (L and R) channels, inserting a rheostat to regulate the sound from the 3rd speaker. It clearly subtracts both signals. I made it at low level only.

The K's are made with Melamine of 19mm, and the coverage is made with a thing called here "Cuerina" (Leatherette???), a synthetic plastic material that can be brought in upholstery articles houses.

I'd love to have G's 0.75 scale K15 in my collection

Karlson kept the outside dimensions of his K12 the same from inception in 1954 his passing in January 1973.

Below are some K12 plans

Karlson's 1954 K12 enclosure ("Karlsonette" as the Karlson Eight had not yet been introduced) It featured an adjustable rear low pass gap via movable bar on the rear panel.
http://i.imgur.com/ZMGQve3.png

Karlson's 6 slit distributed vent K12 introduced Io think in 1956 and presented in a construction articale in July 1958 Popular Mechanics
https://public.bn1301.livefilestore...g7C/transductor-bo.jpg?psid=1&rdrts=167341216

Approximate dimenstions of Karlson's 1960's kit K12 which was offered with a blank port panel - all panels were 3/4" particleboardx. Several examples have been seen with a 12 hole port array and loaded wither with Tannoy Red or EV speakers. This version brought back the full width rear shelf/lowpass gap
http://i.imgur.com/1pSgd4r.png
http://i.imgur.com/ip5l9A0.jpg

GregB's Karlsonator - a larger and lower tuned K-coupler for 12 inch and some 10 inch speakers - its tuned to about 37Hz
http://i.imgur.com/9YhM6or.png

hey blakkshep - - - I've run Beta10cx in the Karlsonator12 and a little K15 type - I think Eminence'[s crossover of 2mH/10uF lowpass and 0.33mH/3.3uF highpass aren't as good as they could be. Mike Chua says Beta10cx benefits from a lower compression driver crossover (see his Osprey I &II)

Beta10cx had plenty of power handling in my Karlsonator 12 and in one room with the cabinet 4 feet off the floor and against a wall, went with a slow rolloff below 100Hz to a -10dB point at 40Hz.

with a good crossover it should sound pretty good.

I think it would be a good idea to have a Karlsonator somewhat smaller than the Karlsonator12 for Beta10cx and with somewhat higher tuning. (37Hz is tuning for my Karlsonator12) XRK971 should be able to suggest something better than Karlsonator 12 for Beta10cx.

Alternately, a K12 should play nice if not "low" with Beta10cx.

I'm not sure what caused the dip here - the cabinets were sitting on the floor - in another room, Karlsonator 12 with 12LTA
made a flatter graph. The tiny scaled "K15" has a klobbering 100-200Hz octave -0 probably sound ok outdoors ;^)

88ONFB0.gif

vnHnxao.jpg

I1YiIFW.jpg

Last edited:
18 inch 2-way Karlson are generally more "mellow" than 15 inch speakers. They can sound pretty good. I've run two different 18" Eminence in couplers smaller than K15 and about the same size. When I first tried an 18" in an 8 cubic foot bulk K-coupler. , I noted a lot of "feel" from the bass across a room. For a given size coupler, most 18's won't quite go as low (or high) as a 15" but can move a lot of air.

I tried two Eminence made 18's in a K-coupler with about 6 cubic feet external bulk. It was made simple like the second K12 with a 10 degree forwards slant port board above the speaker baffle. When I first listened with a half inch gap at the top of the aperture, the sound was "ok" but "congested. Swiveling the wings on the cleats to open the top gap to ~1.25" made little change on graphs but subjectively made an immense improvement in sound quality. At the time I had a one inch format "Smith Distributed Source Horn" on top. The results were very good and one of my favorite experiments.

Here's that little K18 with an Altec 421 on an adapter ring. I later added a chamber attached to the top of the front chamber which had a good effect. (See MMJ's "KARLFLEX" thread for an application)
UP7UIrO.jpg

btw, John Karlson actually marketed a K18 as shown in a later brochure. Later on, Cetec-Gauss made their 5181 K18. 5181 was developed empirically according to a Gauss former president.

Here's my 41" tall, by 22" wide by 16" deep K18 with EV18B, and an internal K-tube playing a song for soprano and her harp - the upper reflector has some curve and it sounds pretty good considering a generic crossover for this video. I can't remember the compression driver - might be a Selenium D210Ti (?)

The K-tube here is a clone of Karlson's "X15" system's K-tube - probably ~1966. The first X15s had a wood mini-asymmetric projector ("klam") driven by a 3 inch speaker.

The EVM18B currently in this K-type has a moving mass of around 80 grams. The two Eminence 18s I ran had mms 103 and 130g. Qts and fs for the 103g 18 was around 0.26 and 30Hz, 0.3 and 23Hz for the 130g mms model.

I don't know if high mass 18s (or 15s) are appropriate. The aperture is quite narrow in the region where an 18 would be mounted. I later added a 1.5" diameter pvc internally mounted K-tube. Something like this and a tapped horn or tapped pipe subwoofer would make a fun system. (I think a K12 might be pretty good too for that duty)

18 inch woofer playing harp and soprano voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYsdJZA7coE

Last edited:
Karl's alignments are tuned pretty high. I have seen K15 exhibit a near-cone null at |~37Hz while system tuning is in the mid-upper 40's. K12 have tuning around 62Hz, K8 ~95. Acoustic Control's 115BK was tuned around 53Hz. Some folks have built K-type with a fairly large rear cavity.

K15 , oddly, works subjectively very well to below 30 if tuned like Exemplar. They tuned K15 with two right angle 3 inch inside diameter PVC elbows. That puts tuning around 30Hz. Then they applied boost near fb and used a crossover. I ran an Altec 416 in K15 that way and it sounded great in conjunction with a weak motor Knight coax in a slit-vent K12. The low tuned vents were on a piece of plywood and screwed right over K15's rectangular vent. Exemplar used a low fs 515 IIRC. Its the best I've heard on my theater organ CDs.

K12 will work with its vent sealed and some woofers to reach ~40Hz without EQ and have good impact. I used the MCM DVC12 which Marshall Leach employed in a sub-sat project.

A long quarter wave path K-tapped horn variant might be made - not sure if useful but Art Welter should know with his "Keystone" subwoofer.

John Tucker's Exemplar Subwoofer picture from 6 Moons

exemplar2.jpg

I have a little 12" driver tapped pipe designed by TB46 and built by Triticum Audio which goes to 20Hz with a cheap Infinity car woofer

e2Pc4od.jpg
0vxhgqq.png

Just found Karlson Enclosure in friend's garage. For Sale

My friend asked me to deal with this Karlson Enclosure that has been sitting in his garage since 1965. It's on Craigslist and eBay
Karlson Enclosure Cabinet X-15 Vintage Audio Wood Box 15 Inch...

Built around 1954. Purchased used in around 1965.Overall size is approx. 34" H x 23" W x 18" D. Included internal speaker size is unknown (possibly 12" or 15").
Weight is approx. 85 lbs.; Shipping Weight is approx 97 lbs.
$200 or best offer. Pick up in Anaheim, CA or pay for all shipping and handling. Corey 562-980-6013

Karlson Enclosure Cabinet X-15 Vintage Audio Wood Box for 15 Inch Speaker | eBay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.