KEF speaker ID...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I recently got a pair of DIY speakers: According to the previous owner KEF's, build in the 80's of the previous century. (That sounds like far away!)

I've been searching all over the web to ID them, as they were (apperantly) sold as a kit (In the Netherlands at least), but I failed to do so...

So: Does anyone recognise this ?
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I suspect the drivers of being: T33;B110;B139

No reflex port on the rear, no TL opening whatsoever neither.

Thanks, Paul

Hi,

I am new here but I do love kef speakers. I notice you have the similar system to the Concentreto<<I think tahts how its spelled. You have a great Midrange in there ( B110) its used in the LS3/5a monitor speaker ( just an upgraded version (newer)). I arent really an expert at any of these things. I myself hvae KEF Cresta 3 speakers. Its not the new ones either the old ones, they are very similar age to the concentreto's, I can NOT find a picture of them ANYWHERE. Its really odd. Anyway. I have attached a picture of my KEF speakers. The really rare ones.

THANKS
Stefan
;)

Attachments

• kef cresta 3.jpg
    kef cresta 3.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 213
Hi,

Also, I noticed you sadi there is no port, thats quite odd. From what I can remember the Concentreto's had a port from the front, they also had there crossovers showing in the front ( quite odd). You should most likely figure out the proper demensions and put in the port for better bass response.
Anyway I thought I mgiht mention that.

Thanks
Stefan
;)

Its abit diffrent..

Hi,

The link for the Cresta was just the Cresta 1's, They included a B110 Woofer and T27 Tweeter<< correct me if I am wrong. I diont think anyone will find the actual KEF Cresta 3's, I have looked everywhere. but nothing. This isnt my thread so you dont need to worry about me. lol.
Anyway
Thanks Anyway
Stefan

Bibster - To me that looks like the same driver complement as the original KEF104AB - which was a sealed design that still sounds very good, if a little woolly and warm compared with current preferences.

They certainly could be a KEF-Kit, or if not, maybe they are 104ABs repackaged by a previous owner. Definitely worth persevering with; you'll probably find the crossover is full of electrolytic bipolar capacitors. Replacing these with modern caps will *really* wake these beasties up!

Martin

Thanks all,

I managed to find out!!!
They're actually cs7's.. but with a big but..
Het outside dim's as well as the mid/hig cabinet inside are NOT according to the KEF leaflet!! (As rytenuff posted a link to)
Rather odd, innit?

Went to see my nice (She gave'm to me) yesterday, and all she coud say is that they bought them as a kit: The baffle was pre-fab, as well as the rest of the cabinet (Just needed to be assembled).

Managed to mail to the shop, and they ID'd them as CS7's as well, and they dove into their archives, and found some dox, which they're going to send me...

Maybe they (== the shop) mod-ed them? Funny thing, 'cause the inner volume is about 80 liters, and not the required (Correct me if I'm wrong) 62 liters!

Anyhow, I've started constructing in 18mm MDF the original cabinet. Just one, to be able to compare!
I think I'm not quite sure how to damp the walls... Lead+4mm bitumen for the 'big' part, and just bitumen for the small?
And for absorbing, any hints? Those sheets with 'noppen' (Pardon my french..) like the one's you hate when camping and need to sleep on them?

@Martin Clark:
Any more specific info on *how* to to mod the x-overs? What brand/type op cap's? Maybe someone know where to get them in .nl?

Thanx again,
Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.