Organic Enclosure Shapes: We need to talk.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Except for exploring off-centre on an open-baffle (where dipole cancellation dominates) Olson doesn't seem to cover off on this subject.

With tools like the Edge or the FRD baffle simulator it would be pretty easy for someone to do a virtual study and give us some baseline. (i'm not doing it -- these tools only work in Windoz)

dave

What about the egg? It's good enough for nature, is it good enough for us? How about placing a solid sphere in the center of a spherical cabinet to break up standing waves. Maybe an absorbent ball of fiberglass in the center would be even better.
Personally, I use rings of sonotube about 2" tall of different diameters glue to the larger panels of sub boxes. I lay them out in a random pattern and it makes the 3/4" mdf appear to be several inches thick without the weight. Try it, you'll like it! The sonotube is very rigid along the length and being a tube is self supporting.

The original post of this thread mentions some DIY people that are into organic shapes but I couldn't find any thread actually dicussing how it is done best or what options you have to do it.
I'd like to build a small monitor box with a scan speak broadband chassis and I'd like to build an organic enclosure for it.

But little do I know... How is it done?

My first post here, hi guys ;)

And thanks for any replies.

And sorry for bumping an anachronistic thread :smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.