Distortion measurements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I think it ought to be elementary for all manufacturers of loudspeaker drivers to publish measurements of distortion on all their drivers, since distortion is indeed a very imortant factor to consider when constructing a loudspeaker.

I would be glad if you post any links to distortion measurements here, I think it's very interesting reading.

Here are three links:
Tweeters
Mid-woofers
Various drivers

no, the thing is that distortion for speakers is a lot more complex then for a solid state amp.

firstly in a solid state amp, IMD isn't usually included becaue it usually pretty low. especailyl compared to a speaker.

then you have to estimate what power use and bandwidth you want. a speaker may work beautifully with 5W from 300hz to 3khz. but upping it to 15W may limit it to 600-1khz...

the consumer doesn't want to hear about 50% distortion @ 50W... because they won't buy it. likewise if you rate at 5W, people will say WEAK!!!

it'll just lead to manufacturers twisting numbers worse then they do now.

I think it ought to be elementary for all manufacturers of loudspeaker drivers to publish measurements of distortion on all their drivers, since distortion is indeed a very imortant factor to consider when constructing a loudspeaker.

I could not agree more. AFAIK, JBL Pro and Beyma are the only ones that publish distortion measurements for their drivers.

/M

ucla88 said:
Hi Vg,

I am plannning to get some more up soon. I have an eton 19 and a seas excel non ferro (-003) tweeter coming. After than, I really have to get some true midrange data up. I will probably have something additional by the end of this month.

P.S. You forgot to link to SL's distortion page.

Whow! I'm really interested in those drivers. :) You behind the tweeters page I linked to?

Swedish Chef said:

I could not agree more. AFAIK, JBL Pro and Beyma are the only ones that publish distortion measurements for their drivers.

/M

Well, there are some manufacturers (like eton, seas, Accuton) that publish distortion measurements, which is good ofcource, but the measurements are hard to compare since they all measure at different soundpressures and so on. I'd be very nice if they could agree on some kind of standard for distortion measurements!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.