"Visaton - is it worth?" or... "Share your Visaton experience"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am about to order two W170S Visaton drivers for my future loudspeakers (enough with simulating!). These drivers aren't expensive, but hey, look at my profile, if you get my point :) There's two things to mind about here in my country (or in Eastern Europe in general): first availability and second price.
I wanted to have a last confirmation because Visaton has a good reputation in DIY world, but you can never know what to expect with cheaper drivers. I wouldn't like to see the same results being obtained with $10 chinese drivers. If you're going to ask me "what about the tweeters?", I can't afford good tweeters right now, I'm planing to use crappy ones until I'll afford to buy some G20SC's, maybe... I just want to get the woofers in order to measure them and (re-)design the enclosure.
OK, so any Visaton related information is appreciated. Thank you.

Visaton is a quality manufacturer with a strong hold in OEM business for well reputated Ls-manufacturers. Whether the W170S is the best solution for you, can only be decided if we knew your planned application. You should ask the guys at the Visaton Forum and stress, that you are on a tight budget:

http://www.visaton.de/vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=35

You will have to register under "Registrieren". Those guys are very knowledgable and certainly will communicate in english.

hello from Estonia.
my experiences with visaton loudspeakers have been 100% positive. you get good build and sound quality. qurrently i have fullrange towerspeakers with the visaton bg20 loudspeakers. i couldnt't be more satisfied for that money. ofcourse i have listened to some loudspeakers that i dont like, but hey, thats more of a matter of taste. i have allready more or less picked out the loudspeakers for my next project, all visaton :)
excellent value for money, excellent.

and that w170s driver, not bad at all.

Hi.

Did you have a look on the <<WHy 3.02 2,5-Wege "Coax">> in the Visaton gallery?
They are build by Wolfgang (We- Ha), the xover has been measured by Visaton.
Those are "semi- coax" with the SC4ND as tweeter, W170S as bass- mids and optional a GF200 as bass...
It's told several times, that they should sound terrific...
If you have any question about them, just go ahead and ask. I'm sure, somebody will translate the essential posts into english...

CA at the Visaton- board...

Greetings, B.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
I built the Topas built around the Ti 100 mid/bass and MHT12 ribbon in a transmission line enclosure.

All I can say is 'great'. A true bargain for the money they cost to build and and a bit better than a friends B&W Nautilus 804 that we had a back to back showdown with and the Topas came out top according to both of us.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with any other drivers apart from the ones mentioned above.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.