THOR with curved side walls?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm going to build a D'Appolito THOR loudspeaker, but if possible I would like to build it with curved sidewalls instead of the original box design. I'm pretty skilled at woodworking, so the construction is not a problem, but I don't have enough knowledge to say how this will affect the sound.

If I design the cabinet so that I basically keep the internal volumes of the original design, will I be OK? As the cabinet narrows towards the back, I plan to make it deeper to keep the same volume, and same tapering of the transmission line.
The internal reflections will of course be different with curved sidewalls, but will this really make a difference?

Opinions anyone?

Cheers,
Rune.

As long as the cross section, taper and so forth remain the same it's fine. The internal reflections are not really a consideration, as the stuffing suppresses them anyway irregardless of the line shape. That's one advantage to a TLine, in that the stuffing renders the presence of parallel walls moot. It's a very different story in a horn, where stuffing can't be used and flat/parallel walls are quite detrimental to midrange response.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.