Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Kapellmeister loudspeakers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2004, 01:16 PM   #1
Bull is offline Bull  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Cool Kapellmeister loudspeakers

Came across this project a long while ago in the back of my 'an introduction to loudspeakers and enclosure design' book.
Looks interesting - a folded pipe loudspeaker design at a low cost.

Looks like you can make an efficient bassy loudspeaker while still using low cost parts.

Drive units to use are: MQ045, 6 1/2" ,45w,resonance 38hz,added whizzer cone,freq response 56hz-20khz,SPL 94db 1w@1m,570 g magnet weight.

Or Altai 8553DU full range elliptical with whizzer[the original speaker recommened].

Also found a website about this project.

http://www.btinternet.com/~jrbham/ka...ter/index.html
Attached Images
File Type: gif kmpic.gif (61.8 KB, 922 views)
Old 18th July 2004, 01:24 PM   #2
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

This is something like the speaker equivalent of the Gainclone where the cost and simplicity tempt you to build it just to see if it really does deliver.

I have read of a couple of examples that have been built and the opinions were that this was a good speaker for the money, although certainly not the ultimate.

For anybody on a really tight budget, this would be a very good design. You can find scrap chipboard in most builders' skips these days so for the cost of the drivers and some fibreglass insulation, you'll be able to try them without much risk.
Old 3rd April 2017, 10:54 PM   #3
frants is offline frants  Philippines
diyAudio Member

I've constructed a Kapellmeister enclosure after years of planning to make a set. I've made in 2012. Since we don't have the recommended the Altai speaker here in my country. I used a Pioneer car speaker & a car cd/radio player where I previously kept when I sold my car.
The performance of the system is awesome. As what the author of that paperback book have mentioned, all the instruments and the vocal of almost songs that I played were crystal clear. I feel like I'm listening in front a band playing live. Indeed, the system have no colorations. It's what really called a hi-fi.
Old 4th April 2017, 10:33 AM   #4
midrange is offline midrange  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have "An Introduction to Loudspeaker and Enclosure Design" by V.Capel that describes the design, construction, and performance of these speakers. The only aspect of the performance that might trouble some, is the falling response (-4dB at 200Hx, -12dB at 100Hz,). These measurements seemed to have been done in room using multiple microphone positions averaged. I have insufficient knowledge to know how significant this is, but it does point towards an honest appraisal from the designer. It does not say if the level of stuffing was subject to experimentation. The designer uses, and advises using, some bass boost.
Old 4th April 2017, 12:12 PM   #5
Sonce is offline Sonce  Macedonia
diyAudio Member

This is a very poor TL design. You can always design better one with a TL software designer, such as TL designer from Leonard audio, or from Martin. J. King, or George Augspurger.
Old 17th June 2017, 12:50 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

My intention for making an actual enclosure was for:
1.) If the pros mentioned by the author was true.
2.) I had limited budget for materials. The size of the box was important for me.
3.) I know that bass frequencies are not that complete. The player can compensate for the bass response. The med & hi freq production clarity is was what I meant for hi-fi.
Old 17th June 2017, 03:01 AM   #7
ICG is offline ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frants View Post
3.) I know that bass frequencies are not that complete. The player can compensate for the bass response. The med & hi freq production clarity is was what I meant for hi-fi.
Sorry but that is a load of bullcrap. Why? Because this kind of enclosure changes the behaviour in the bass only. It has absolutely nothing to say regarding the mids, let alone the heights. And that means if it is poor in the bass, there is absolutely zero reason to build it in the first place.
Old 21st June 2017, 10:52 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Look ICG you have no right to tell me what I do or make . I don't care about your comment. You are the one who is ignorant about this enclosure. You should know what you are talking. At least I was able to build one and experience what it sounds like.
Old 21st June 2017, 01:16 PM   #9
ICG is offline ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Look ICG you have no right to tell me what I do or make . I don't care about your comment. You are the one who is ignorant about this enclosure. You should know what you are talking. At least I was able to build one and experience what it sounds like.
You can build whatever you want. Do whatever makes you happy. Why didn't I build one? Well, why don't you build a tire out of stone for your bicylce? What, that would be a bad idea? Well, there you can see, if you've got some knowledge, you know something will not work well. Or at all. This enclosure principle only works in the bass and if it doesn't work there, there's absolutely no point in building it. So you building it for an experiment is fine to get experience.

But - and that's important - you've attributed a lot of positive things to the enclosure and I could not leave it standing like that because the positive things you've mentioned got not a single bit to do with the type of enclosure! What you've wrote about the sound might (or might not, I'll leave that to the reader) be true, but to tell others it's because of the 'great box' is simply wrong! I wrote that to save others from the disappointment and spending money on something someone (wrongly) praised so much. That's the truth and that's something you'll have to live with.

If you want to improve it, try removing and moving the damping material so it does not eat up all the bass anymore. Best is to keep the damping material in the first ~30-40cm (medium tight stuffed) and remove most of the rest, especially ~1/2-2/3 length to the end. That will make the enclosure work in the bass, you can change and experiment with the damping. Removing the tiles will further improve the sound, keeping the first at the driver is okay though.
Old 18th August 2017, 12:24 PM   #10
radioben is offline radioben
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I've constructed a Kapellmeister enclosure after years of planning to make a set.

Could we see a photo please? :-)

Kapellmeister loudspeakersHide this!Advertise here!