old school type woofers that require a monkey coffin

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Last edited:
A possible contender

Hello again Charlie.... Have you looked at the Eminence Neo mag KL3012CX-8?

Although it is designed as a coax woofer, it is a great stand alone woofer - mid bass. The pair I have actually measure flatter than the excellent plot shown at Eminence. Sound really good. Fun to run them with alone as a quasi full range and listen to music and voice. Sounds like good AM radio! Most 12" mid bass drivers would sound like a muddled mess.

Don't know what Eminence has done to damp down the break up with out messing up dynamics and frequencey extension. What ever they did, it works. Same with the 15" version too.

And, this 12" driver is dynamic! With 11 oz of neo, 54 gram MMs and a 3" inside - outside voice coil it should be! Rugged as hell too! Not cheap of course. J

Hello again Charlie.... Have you looked at the Eminence Neo mag KL3012CX-8?

Although it is designed as a coax woofer, it is a great stand alone woofer - mid bass. The pair I have actually measure flatter than the excellent plot shown at Eminence. Sound really good. Fun to run them with alone as a quasi full range and listen to music and voice. Sounds like good AM radio! Most 12" mid bass drivers would sound like a muddled mess.

Don't know what Eminence has done to damp down the break up with out messing up dynamics and frequencey extension. What ever they did, it works. Same with the 15" version too.

And, this 12" driver is dynamic! With 11 oz of neo, 54 gram MMs and a 3" inside - outside voice coil it should be! Rugged as hell too! Not cheap of course. J

Oh, I had not seen that one! Usually my eyes see "coaxial" and I just move on down the page. This would be an interesting option sans CD.

What do you make of what seems to be a resonance dip at 450Hz? Are you able to measure that? Does it show up in your impedance sweep?

The reason I ask is that I have a pair of the Deltalite 2510 and they have a strange resonance peak around 320Hz in the FR that spoils an otherwise nice driver.

Last edited:
I used a Scanspeak 26W/8534G00 for that in a 77L sealed cabinet. It has low FS, limited xmax and a low mass cone (so higher compliance).

And an Seas H1411-08 A26R4 should also fall in that category i think. It's most known for the use in the Seas A26 aperiodic set, but in normal tunings it also need a big cabinet of similar size sealed.