Tumult power rating - How much is safe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have checked Adire's site and it says the Tumult can handle 1600Watts, and I think the Impedance with both voice coils in series 3.2Ohms.

Currently I have a ported Tumult being driven by 700+ watts, trouble is it has a subsonic filter at 14Hz, although the system is working extremely well, I can get a Crown K1 for a good price, but was a little concerned about powering the Tumult with it as the Crown is rated at 1500Watts bridge mode into 4Ohms, therefore it may produce more into 3.2Ohms. I guess these are probably nominal ratings.

I also realise that this would only be a problem at high listening levels which I probably would never listen too, but one just never knows...

Therefore does anyone foresee any problems with driving a ported Tumult with a K1?

go for it

I second that- I've always heard it's better to have too much power than not enough. It avoids clipping; and clipping is supposed to be a real bummer!

(tangent) Just last night I was listening to a pair of parts express NSBs (the 4" pioneers!) with my Hafler DH 500. They're rated to 10 watts, the amp is 250 watts... the sound was surprising! The folks trying line arrays have got my support- but I don't think they're for me(/tangent)

Moral of the story- that oughta sound clean and clear :D

Thanks for the replys...

postman

You are correct of course; I guess I was just being a little hesitant bearing in mind the cost of the driver.

djQUAN & joe

I know exactly where you are coming from...

Sucked up to the wife last night :D anyway to cut a long story short, (it worked) She gave me the $$$$, so I have emailed the guy and told him I will pick the K1 up today.

Thanks again...

Too much Power honest, why do people want such power ratings?

Its always better to have sensitive drivers over high power ones.

The power handling is short term at 1600 watts, i mean only 16 to 20 watts is converted into sound and the rest is heat! as long as you allow it to cool or have a termal fuse on the driver thats ok.

I know so many people that blow up other famous subwoofers and they want me to recone them with thicker coils! there is a limit for copper and aluminium, if anything aluminium can not handle as much heat but cools faster and is lighter.

If you really want to use that power long term you need a CO2 colling system or a ferro tungsten wound coil, i know it wont have the sensitivity but it will take 1600 watts all day long! when a copper coil will only last 1 minute if its lucky before :hot: fusing.

Thanks for your input Paradise_Ice...

I have no intention of running this thing anywhere near it rated output, the Tumult was an addition to my other 4x subs to give me more output below 20Hz, the only reason for the change is the sub is tuned to 15Hz but the plate amp has a subsonic filter at 14Hz BTW the filter is 3dB down at this point, and its 24dB/oct, the Crown comes with its filter set at 8Hz, and it is purely the ability to be able to reproduce these freq's between ~16 - 8Hz that some DVD's have encoded on their soundtracks.

BTW I can't hear much below 25Hz; it is all about knowing that I can reproduce these freq.

I also realise I don't have to justify my self to anybody; I am just clarifying the reason for the change.

And I do appreciate and also take on board all feedback/warnings from you guys.

Dick

Spearmint said:
Thanks for your input Paradise_Ice...

I have no intention of running this thing anywhere near it rated output, the Tumult was an addition to my other 4x subs to give me more output below 20Hz, the only reason for the change is the sub is tuned to 15Hz but the plate amp has a subsonic filter at 14Hz BTW the filter is 3dB down at this point, and its 24dB/oct, the Crown comes with its filter set at 8Hz, and it is purely the ability to be able to reproduce these freq's between ~16 - 8Hz that some DVD's have encoded on their soundtracks.

Dick

Now that makes more sense!
Yes DVD do have alot of information in that infra range of sound so its good to have the ability to play that signal and shake, shake, shake the room! tick tick tick boooom!
sorry i couldnt help that Will Smith impression, :D
i dont know what kind of amp would have a filter in it for 8 Hz? maybe its trying to save some power or itself as the current demand at these frequencys is very large.

I just came back from an audio show in Oxford England called the T10 and the young gents have the best intentions for sound quality but end up in the rediculos dinosaur bass zone! i say this as the music becomes so drowned in the sound output .

4 subwoofer? can over power the rest of your systems frequencys and make you def! so i know you must know your audio but be careful with all respect for yourself.
You can replace drive units, you can not replace your ears :angel:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.