Cheap ribbon driver subsitute

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for an inexpensive driver that has the kind of tonal characteristics of a true (e.g. Raven) ribbon driver. The intended application is surround channels to match mains/center that use true ribbons, so I am not expecting the same degree of fidelity, just a compatible sound.

One alternative that jumped out at me was a quasi-ribbon like the Dayton PT2. The $30 price range is where I'd like to stay.

I am not ruling out dynamic drivers if compatible ones exist. I'm looking for options--any suggestions?

Another wrinkle is that I am considering going dipole/bipole for music. Would that change your suggestion?

Thanks for any responses.

You might consider spending the extra few bucks and going for the BG NEO3-PDR.
Some very nice FR plots out there with this ribbon, and seems to have relatively low distortion. Easy to use in dipole configuration. An open-baffle/dipole rear surround, mounted perpendicular to the wall, could be very dynamic.

I have used the Dayton PT2 in my front speakers, and it performs very well. It was a little tricky to get the x-over worked out, but when I did it sounded great. If you want to go di-pole, you will, of course, need to get 2 per speaker. The BG planers are also a great solution to your problem. Most of their models are bi-polar by nature, and you can cross them over fairly low for planer drivers. You could also see if Steve at Apex Jr. has any of those little ribbon drivers he was selling for ~ $5.00 each. Tehy areen't the highest fidelity things in the world, but the price is definately right.

Cheers,
Zach

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
tiroth said:
They look interesting...I'm guessing there is no additional technical info available, but do you have any listening impressions?

They sound quite decent... they were a big contribution to making Monsson one of the best computer speakers around. XO used was 1st order at 1500 and they are about 85-87 dB 4 ohms.

Do you have more than one set? I need at least three.

I'm down to one set of 350 tweeters and one set of 500/502 tweeters. MM350 auction

I was pretty much cleaned out when a guy bought 9 pr for a line array. Too bad Monsoon closed up shop.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.