High SPL 3 Way

This is what I have came up with so far:

Schiit Bifrost DAC > MiniDsp DDRC-88A > DIY Hypex Ncore based amplification > active 2/3 way.

I want to use the Beyma CD10ND or their neo 1.4” for my HF, paired with an SEOS 12/15 I've done countless hours of research on them, and they appear to be exactly what I'm after. At 111db/w and 70w RMS they should be able to hit 129db. Their minimum crossover is 1,200hz, but I’d like to cross them around 2,000hz if I use a mid.

I haven’t modeled anything, or done a lot of research on my mid at this point. I know that I will definitely have to horn load it to get close to the output of the CD and woofer without multiple mids. I’d like to avoid multiple mids to avoid comb filtering if possible. Horns seem extremely hard to find for a 6-8” midrange. I’m open to all suggestions for a mid/horn combo that’ll reach into the 125+ spl area with pretty low distortion.

For my woofer, I'd like to go with the Beyma 15P80ND, or Faital Pro 15FX600. I've dome some modeling on both, and while I'm no wizard on WinISD yet, they appear to model very nicely. With the efficiency and power handling of both options, it should be able to match output nicely with the CD. I'll be measuring with a Umik and adjusting levels accordingly once built.

The LF will be handled with several high efficiency 18's or 21's on Inuke power (preferably two 28hz tuned Devs loaded with San21's on an NX6,000), and 2-4 cheaper pro 18's on a NX3,000/6,000 to even out the nulls but I'm still working on that aspect as well. Whatever combination I go with will be crossed anywhere from 120hz-80hz to them.

With the 4 presets, I'll make one outdoor event setup, use 2 others for the 2 main venues and leave one open for special shows. The largest venue they will play in is 5,000sq/ft and the largest outdoor gathering they'll provide sound for is 250 or so people.

Let me know what you all think! Again, I’m open to any and all suggestions. This is just what I have came up with so far. Thanks for any input, or experiences. I appreciate it all!

Reactions: 1 user
I have a pair of those JBL waveguides...I need to try them out already. Not the most solid structure but the price is right.

Limmer horns look good as well.
Limmerhorns - 870

Chinese clones of various prosound models also exist if that's an option for you

The SEOS stuff is a good choice above 2khz.

If you decide you don’t want to try them out, give me a shout and I may be interested in purchasing them from you. I looked at the limmer horns but it seems there is very little information on what frequency each model will cover down to comfortably.

By the time shipping costs are added in.....cheaper to order from Full Compass.

The JBL's are crossed at 1.2khz in their cinema systems. Probably wouldn't want to go any higher than that with the dual driver mid horn. The single driver version would be a better match. Keep in mind these are 30" wide.

For a standard size 15" prosound box, consider this waveguide.
JBL 5024540 PRX735 Midrange Horn Lens - Speaker Exchange
I've used this waveguide paired with the SEOS 12 crossed at 2khz. Crossed to a 15" at 450hz. Great results.

I'm working on a similar system. I have four Eminence 21's, four 18's, 8's for the mid horns, and a pair of very nice 3" compression drivers.

For 1" drivers I would go with the Faital HF108 or BMS 5530.

I checked out that mid horn. Looks very nice. Do you have any recommendations as far as mid drivers that should work well with what I’m going for?

As far as the HF, do you have something against the Beyma? Or do you just feel that the others are better offerings for the application?

I’m shooting to reach around 125+ spl with the mid/horn combo, I know I’m going to have to get a very efficient with relatively high power handling to get it around there. I’d like to stick with beyma or faital if I can get them to play nicely with the LF and HF I go with. I look forward to hearing back!

I would go with this driver.
B&C 6NSM51 is a lightweight 6.5" closed back midrange speaker - B&C Speakers - B&C 6NSM51 neodymium 6.5" closed back midrange speaker is 100db SPL. B&C 6NSM51 neodymium closed back, open baffle and infinite baffle midrange speakers available now.
Well designed for this application.

Nothing against Beyma. They make fine products but the HF108 and BMS are better offerings from what I've seen. In practice, almost all quality drivers will work well.

Don't be afraid to mix and match brands.

I checked into the B&C 6NSM51, its rise in spl from 400-2,000 is over 30 SPL. I'm don't believe I can fix that curve with EQ. Seems that I would be pushing the driver well over xmax to raise raise the bottom end up enough to be relatively flat, and if I brought the top end down enough the sensitivity would be more like 90db/w. I'm still going to model it to see what I can come up with regardless. I know that the horn is going to alter the response as well, (which I have no method of measuring). I'm not sure whether it will be a positive difference or further negative.

Does anyone have experience with their sealed-back 6" or 8" options, or other sealed/unsealed options that would work nicely? Let me know guys! I appreciate the responses and info so far.

I looked into the 8NSM64 just now, and it looks to have a much smoother response from 400 up. I'm aware that I'll have to look at crossing closer to 1,700hz to avoid beaming with this driver, which I believe should be fine in the application (if you have any objections let me know). If I went this route I'd have to find a suitable 8" horn as well that is comfortable down to 400hz.

I think it's worth noting, I'm prepared to build my own horn to serve this purpose if need be, but I'm sure you all have some store bought options in mind.

Thanks guys!

That Sonitus horn looks great. Also that dual 6.5" driver, 30inch wide JBL waveguide.

The little single 6.5"JBL waveguide did as below with a sealed back Eminence 6.5"

Attachments

• jbl little 6.5 waveguide.jpg
    jbl little 6.5 waveguide.jpg
    568.2 KB · Views: 328

These do look very nice, thank you! I had never even heard of them previously but they seem to have nice specs for this application and 104 db/w with 300AES handling should net around 128db or so. Still curious as to whether anyone has heard the Sonitus or the 8” B&C so I can get some input on them. While I’m making these to play very loud, I’d still like excellent sound quality out of them and would like a good full, warm tone if possible.

That Sonitus horn looks great. Also that dual 6.5" driver, 30inch wide JBL waveguide.

The little single 6.5"JBL waveguide did as below with a sealed back Eminence 6.5"

I believe all I’ll be able to get down to before a very steep natural roll off with the JBL horn is 500 or so. I know the most important frequencies for vocal production are roughly 300/400-2,000hz, and that’s the basis of why I’m wanting to cross at 400. Along with a safer HF range and more comfortable LF. I doubt 100hz would make a feasible difference,

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Another option if your in the US is that you might be able to get hold of community M200 compression drivers cheaply which will do 400 - 4kHz. Last time I checked you can still get new diaphragm kits from biamp for them and new drivers: https://www.communitypro.com/sites/default/files/M200.PDF
If you hang around ebay for a while some will show up. I'm currently working on a horn for mine :)