Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

A second identical shorted loudspeaker as passive damped radiator
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2021, 05:40 PM   #1
ygg-it is offline ygg-it  Italy
diyAudio Member

Exclamation A second identical shorted loudspeaker as passive damped radiator

Hello, please help me to model and determine the behavior and distortion of adding a second shorted identical loudspeaker in a sealed box (vas 24l, fs 39hz, volume 20l) as passive radiator.

I tested because i had a spare identical loudspeaker around, and I like because I have very clean bass now, but not really sure how to model, and if I could damage the second speaker due to shorting its terminals.

I think it should be something like a sealed box with losses, something like a variovent, or a bass like air flow resistor.
Old 5th October 2021, 06:00 PM   #2
boswald is offline boswald  United States
diyAudio Member

Do not close(short) the voice coil. Leave it open(or remove it), and add mass to the passive cone to tune for your box volume.
Old 5th October 2021, 06:09 PM   #3
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I'll add that shorting the voice coil puts an electromagnetic brake on the cone's vibrations, and that's why you don't want to do it for your purposes.
Old 5th October 2021, 06:46 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'll also add that it is usual to remove either the magnet assembly or the voice coil.

This is because the to and fro cone movement will be larger in amplitude in your passive radiator application and you don't want the voice coil to 'bottom out' on the back plate of the magnet assembly. (The passive radiator conversion requires to have around twice the to and fro movement of the working speaker.)
Old 5th October 2021, 06:48 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ygg-it View Post
I think it should be something like a sealed box with losses, something like a variovent, or a bass like air flow resistor.
It's more like a reflex box where the mass of air in the port is replaced by the mass of the cone of the passive radiator.
Old 5th October 2021, 06:49 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks, but everything sound better shorted. Why? Any issue?
Old 5th October 2021, 06:49 PM   #7
RobWells is offline RobWells  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'd rather use the 2nd woofer powered in 0.5 way than use it as a PR. Might end up needing a bit of EQ after though.

Rob.
Old 5th October 2021, 06:51 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

How to power in 0.5 way? In series?
Old 5th October 2021, 06:52 PM   #9
stv is offline stv  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ygg-it View Post
Thanks, but everything sound better shorted. Why? Any issue?
yes: you need to tune the passive radiator below the resonance frequency of the active loudspeaker, easiest done by adding weight. otherwise you will get sort of a boom box, with a rather high bass peak.
by shorting it you got a (nearly) closed box, which usually sounds good, but does not give deep bass. you disabled the passive radiator by shorting it.

Last edited by stv; 5th October 2021 at 06:54 PM.
Old 5th October 2021, 06:53 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Here's a useful link: AE Speakers --- Superb Quality, Unforgettable Performance, Definitely.

A second identical shorted loudspeaker as passive damped radiatorHide this!Advertise here!