Need help with designing a throat adapter for HF108 to big old Vitavox(?) biradial

It's most probably a Dukane 5A300 , a cast version of Vitavox CN157 (I had both and kept Dukane -rings like a bell ). Some say it is a copy of early Klipsch K5 Horn. Vitavox used it in a CN-191, their version of Klipschorn. And Living Voice uses it in their million dollar horn system. I also have adapter for this horn in work (well my machinists does) for Altec 288C . The adapter plate will be made of brass and will follow Altecs 8 degree throat angle (4+4) and will be approx 1" thick. I'm going to use the horn for ALTEC version of Klipschorn (803A on horn bass bin and 288c on the top)

Making those adapters. Brass stock from supplier came in a bigger size and I didn't want my machinist to spend time grinding it down so I let it be big

Attachments

• 20211124_153012.jpg
    20211124_153012.jpg
    887.9 KB · Views: 169
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I made this some time ago: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mul...d-1-2-driver-adapter-tried-2.html#post5940308

I knew very little at that time, I just made a simple conical extension with the lenght I needed. In theory it had flaws, in practice it did not really matter and the effect of time alignment and matched (+-) directivity was higher so I got a more even sound coverage.

One of my first 3D printed audio projects, before I got my own 3D printer:)

I know that sometimes a lot of efforts bring little audible benefits

But since I had to make an effort and I cannot be sure for how long I will have an access to the machine shop nearby I tried to make the adapters decent enough that they will be worth something. At the end it was a lot more effort than I anticipated but it's done. This thread motivated me to do something with this years long lingering project. The adapters are self centering with a collar matching 288C exit and guiding pins on the horns and transitions are smooth.
Early Altec 288c 24 Ohm version have new GPA 16 Ohms diaphragms and I only played them briefly on Edgar 350Hz salad bowls tractrix horns with Edgar's own 1.4"-2" adapters. They didn't load the horn properly in the low range and were easily bested by JBL 2440/41 drivers in those horns.
I remember that my Ex (bat ears -unlike mine) was shocked how beautiful the sound on "naked" drivers was just playing on the table. She said they were something else, simply majestic. I kind of count on majestic sound they will make in old bi-radial horns on the top of old Klipschorn cabs.

Attachments

• adapters 001.JPG
    adapters 001.JPG
    642.2 KB · Views: 107
@limono,

Thanks for that ( 1.5" entry ) size confirmation.

What I find strange about your Dukane 5A300 is that it could only be mated ( back then ) to a Vitavox driver , yet I'm not aware of Dukane importing and using that driver ( S2 or S3 ) in North America.

Do you have additional info to add about why the 5A300 came into existence as a cast alloy, CN157 variant?

:)

I think it could be mated to any driver with an adaptor and as a matter of fact the horn needed an adaptor to mount Vitavox S2 as well since Vitavox mount is threaded. I have no info about the purpose of 5A300 but S2 units were imported to North America. If I'm not mistaken Vitavox was making speakers in Canada.

Playing it Mono and I'm quite taken how this crude setup sounds. Single coil on the K-horn and the same 20uF cap with L pad on the Altec 288c DuKane/Vitavox horn. It energizes the room much better than 8 x10" scan speak woofers and two midbasses :) and honking nicely too.
Vitavox used a series crossover in their version which looks slightly alien to my eyes.

Attachments

• k-horn 003.JPG
    k-horn 003.JPG
    813.7 KB · Views: 81
  • VitavoxCN458.gif
    VitavoxCN458.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 79