Lowest bass extension in small enclosure while reaching 1 KHz

The NE180W-08 will get you close and is just a fantasic all around driver.

49 Hz F3 in a 15L vented box

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210801-123952_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210801-123952_Chrome.jpg
    689.7 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
small driver on a small box will go as low as you want, max SPL goes down though. If the driver has high power handling capability, you can pour more power to get some SPL. You might already know this, just a reminder for future readers that the various driver brands and models doesn't have too much difference. Increase driver and enclosure size and up goes SPL and down goes the frequency response.

Some more candidates:

SB15NBAC30-8 (15L can be done to 36Hz F3 ported) and Scan-Speak 15W/8531K00 (39Hz F3 in 15L ported) are good candidates also i think.

And i use the Mark Audio Alpair 10.3 (and did test the 10P) fullrange drivers in a 17.9L ported cabinet and they get easely 45hz F3 in that one, even on relative high volume (as they have enough xmax). I would not use them as midwoofers, but it's perfectly possible and some do it. That Mark Audio cabinet is my office bookshelf system and i lack nothing from them on bass (within reasonable expectations from a bookshelf).

I can report the NE180W-08 has very little power compression compared to most 7" drivers and can deliver close to pro audio levels (obviously low end is excursion limited). From my own testing, it has survived 130W rms for over 2 hrs with the coil windings never exceeding 240 degrees F and output at a continuous 110 dB band limited to > 300 hz with total THD < 2% across the board. The output drop was only under 2 dB.