want to do an OB design, first one.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Here’s a crazy idea: Dual 10 H baffle above and below the planar suspended between. It would be huge and hideous. :D A giant grille fabric sock could give it an hourglass shape to make it more svelte.

You’re much better off listening to Charlie, however.

Just reading this thread with interest i have a couple questions.... First i like the looks of the drivers sv572 has chosen or is looking at. Second i would love to know a few other specs we are looking for.(hopeful freq. i.e 100hz to 18k. also sensitivity of total system.) I also am thinking of a 6db crossover set up to start. Is this correct?

watching

I have a kind of Thomas Crown personality. I like the thrill of the chase, or hunt so to speak.
What kind of problems do you think the woofer above the tweeter would create? As far as the baffle complexity is concerned, I work at lowes and live above a complete wood working shop. I've intended all along to use a powered sub. I guess I left that out now that I think about it. My bad. Staying with an MTM design, what type of baffle measurements would be good the start the project with? Roughly i.e. height, width, etc. From what I've researched it seems that some leaves or wings are needed behind and to the sides of the woofers to help tune the response. It seems to me that this would also inherently improve stability of the baffle and its rigidity.

sv572

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Rear wings are not to tune a resonance - at least I hope not! :) Rear wings are just a way to get a longer path between the front and back of the baffle. Wings are almost like getting a wider baffle, without having a wider baffle. Wings that are deep and/or symmetrical can lead to unwanted resonance.

I have a kind of Thomas Crown personality. I like the thrill of the chase, or hunt so to speak.
What kind of problems do you think the woofer above the tweeter would create? As far as the baffle complexity is concerned, I work at lowes and live above a complete wood working shop. I've intended all along to use a powered sub. I guess I left that out now that I think about it. My bad. Staying with an MTM design, what type of baffle measurements would be good the start the project with? Roughly i.e. height, width, etc. From what I've researched it seems that some leaves or wings are needed behind and to the sides of the woofers to help tune the response. It seems to me that this would also inherently improve stability of the baffle and its rigidity.

sv572

I suggested back in Post #4 that you build Paul Carmody's Sunflower, which is a well proven MTM design by a person with considerable knowledge and experience in speaker design.

Another excellent option was suggested by Pano in Post #2 to build the well proven Manzanita.

If you think that you can build an MTM OB that sounds as good as the Sunflower then by all means go for it. But you will have to figure out a great deal of the answer on your own.

Don't expect to find simple answers here to complex problems. Asking things like high and wide the baffle should be is a gross oversimplification of the problem.