Tannoy 8" dual concentric

Hello y'all! I am hoping somebody out there can shed some light. I bought a pair of CMS8s (8" driver) and put them (& crossover) into floor-standing cabinets (Phase Tech 7T). But - something is not right with the sound. I can't put my finger on it but it kinda sounds like there's a large tube in front of the driver. Like the midrange (1 KHz?) is bumped up maybe? It's quickly apparent when switching from a Thiel CS2. I previously put a CMS6 into a ported bookshelf box and didn't notice this problem. I tried each channel individually, and at low volume as well. Tannoy uses different size wire lugs so I'm sure the phase is correct, and I compared a photo I took of the CMS6. I traced the crossover wiring & components, comparing it to a System 800 schematic. Seems identical except for the smaller cap/larger series resistor for the tweeter used in the System 800 (higher crossover frequency?). The 800 uses 2.2uF / 4.7 Ohm; the CMS uses 3.3uF / 2.7 Ohm. Thanks a bunch.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
https://soundmaster.ua/media/blfa_files/CMS8TDC_Colour.pdf

Any idea what the T/S are?

What do the boxes look like? This one?

1824780-8613fa36-phase-technology-7t-2way-bass-reflex-floorstanding-speakers.jpg

You likely have. abadly tuned ML-TL which can have ripple up into the midrange.

dave

I measured the 2046 drivers years ago and can't find the data now. Based on the measurements I ended up with a cabinet much smaller than what you are using but larger than the ceiling cans. Still use them as fronts in a secondary HT system with 6" Tannoy DC as surrounds. I just stuffed the 1191 XOs into the box with the intention of building something better someday when I had a better handle on what to do but never got around to it because they never sounded all that bad.

The picture and schematic that comes up when you google that crossover (Russian site) looks nothing like what I measured. I attached a schematic in this rather embarrassing thread. What is this inductor doing?

I also had back in the day a copy of a tannoy replacement parts list showing the same part numbers in more respected speakers than the ceiling cans, system 8 or 800 not sure now.

Not sure if any of that helps other than to point out that they can work reasonably well.

Are you sure? The system 800 use a 6 bolt/screws driver (similar to the profile 636 and 638 from the mid 90s) while the 2064 is a few years more recent with 4 bolts used in definition 700 and S8 around the millennium. It might be the same driver just with different frame. Great drivers none the less.

Thank you everyone for your replies. Goodness, this is a great forum!

Planet10: Yes these are the ones. I assumed at low volume the size of the box wouldn't make a difference. I may be wrong.

GM: You make a good point about the "voice" tuning. I just lack knowledge about tweaking components (but am learning!)

Martyh: Based on your experience, it looks like you've had good luck with smaller boxes using the original XO.

The Dimension and Profile series use an 8" dc driver in a floor cabinet (albeit with an additional passive cone), so I thought my drivers would work well also.

I found a cap & resistor that I could add to the XO to mimic the System 800, and will update y'all. (5 uF in series with 3.3, 2 ohm in series with 2.7.)

And yes the crossover is probably very different in Profile 638 and System 800 due to the 2,5 way design in 638 with less baffle step correction needed. I believe the Profile series are 4 ohm while I’m sure 800 is 8 ohm same as S8LCR (bookshelf version of S8/D500). Maybe the S8LCR crossover would fit.