Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Open Baffle design preferences
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th July 2021, 11:25 AM   #31
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Designing a good dipole loudspeaker is easy. Study and learn the basics and apply! Each dipole radiator has only 2-3 octaves of usable range, depending on baffle size. This means that you must make it at least 3-way and apply lots of equalization.

Designing and making an open baffle speaker even more easy, just take a random piece of mdf and cut a hole for the random driver you happen to have. Don't even try to make any measurements of response and distotion!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 24th July 2021, 03:13 PM   #32
mashaffer is online now mashaffer  United States
diyAudio Member

Using a relatively large and efficient woofer with high Qts, reasonable xmax, and low Fs. mate with a slightly less efficient full range driver and crossover appropriately. Size the baffle including wings to support the Q of your woofer and you are pretty much done. There are tweaks but it is amazing how good a simple design can sound. In fact my first OB was a pair of salvaged 8" full ranges of questionable parentage stuch in baffles about 2.5' wide and 3.5" tall. They sounded really good. I stuck a pair of old dome tweeters on top to get the sizzle and they worked quite well for everything but organ music.

The nice thing about OBs beside the sound is that they are so easy to experiment with. My advice is just don't complicate your life by using low Q drivers at first.
Old 24th July 2021, 04:24 PM   #33
jjasniew is offline jjasniew  United States
diyAudio Member

I thought the ubiquitous "H frame" design nicely took care of the baffle part for the low frequency driver? Isnt it like 6 "wings"; 3 about the front, 3 about the back - with the floor plane common?

Then you need to balance the xover point to the "next driver up", staying well away from the cavity resonance of the 7-9" deep tub structures. I thought I read Linkwitz even designed a notch filter (3-400Hz) to stomp that out!

One would think it's a matter of choosing the driver (FR for a two way...) that can hit low enough to cross well below the woofer wing cavity resonance - in any design. I can see this being a problem when you want to keep the rear side radiation of the driver wide open, for the speaker to be more than just OB bass.

This means you're restricted to balancing driver size / baffle size / baffle placement to play well with that winged OB woofer restraint. I see back in 2008, MJK did this using a 4" driver. I also understand the Visaton BG20-8 is a darling for OB; perhaps because of its size allows it an easier time to hook up with the woofer crossover frequency.

I also understand winging or framing the next driver up isnt such a good idea, as the cavity resonance will likely have multiple modes... Has anyone done this to reduce the aesthetic baffle size for this driver?

No wings, no tub resonance, but "no bass" also. Choose and balance, make a clever fitting between elements if you can.
Old 24th July 2021, 06:45 PM   #34
classicalfan is offline classicalfan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashaffer View Post
Using a relatively large and efficient woofer with high Qts, reasonable xmax, and low Fs. mate with a slightly less efficient full range driver and crossover appropriately. Size the baffle including wings to support the Q of your woofer and you are pretty much done. There are tweaks but it is amazing how good a simple design can sound....
That recipe appears to perfectly match the Manzanita design that has been discussed here in another thread at length:

Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project
Old 24th July 2021, 10:18 PM   #35
mashaffer is online now mashaffer  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes it does. It has often also been done with the Eminence Alpha 15 or the Goldwood 18".
Old Yesterday, 03:53 AM   #36
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The Goldwood 18 is fun. Especially 2 per side!
  Reply to this post

Open Baffle design preferencesHide this!Advertise here!